Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife - Glaslyn Ospreys - APRIL 2018

As we have had a monthly thread for Glaslyn since 2016, I have started the thread for April. 

LINK TO MARCH THREAD.

I hope we get an Easter present today with the arrival of Mrs.G or Aran, it is always such a relief when they return.   

At the moment it is an Empty Nest.

• scylla said:

Clare, just to clarify this a bit... it is not "Glaslyn" that is causing this...

I am certain that Clare was not aiming her criticism at Glaslyn, she knows the situation all too well.

[/quote]Correct.  I just find it almost beyond belief that someone can insist on the preservation of a nest which is a detriment to the species it's supposed to be benefiting without some law being broken.  Here we have a Schedule 1 bird - there are all sorts of legal protections on such birds, how on earth can this situation be legal?  I can only hope there are no other situations like this waiting to come to light in Wales - or anywhere else, for that matter.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Unknown said:
    But the owners of the adjacent land on which it is erected, would not budge or even think about it. It is best to aim this sentiment at those people, and not at the Glaslyn project.

Who are they?

Unknown said:
    The cam on the Croesor nest is Glaslyns and still there for protection reasons and observations. But that doesn’t mean they “agree” or support this setup.

I wonder if the Glaslyn team are using this camera to collect evidence that the nest is poorly sited.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• The statement of Mar 6th states that the "owners" of the structure would refuse any attempt to remove it.

The landowner owns the land. Other/s own the structure.

Read into that what you will.

• Oh how confusing, Sheila!  And what a shame that it is the Ospreys who suffer because not everyone agrees about what ought to be done.  Is this the sort of thing which prompted the expression, 'These things are sent to try us.'?

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:

The statement of Mar 6th states that the "owners" of the structure would refuse any attempt to remove it.

The landowner owns the land. Other/s own the structure.

Read into that what you will.

Somebody's nuts.

• Mrs G in her favourite roosting position. At least it's not blowing a hooley tonight.

Are we due an egg soon? Aran returned on the 5th.

• Unknown said:
    Are we due an egg soon?

Well, she's having a restless spell :)

IMAGICAT

• Both in view She on the nest fence and he on the perch

• I was just reading some of the osprey profiles This then is Mrs G's 14th season and Aran's 3rd. Beautiful pictures in the profiles including of the amazing 11(98)

• @7:48

watching gulls? (whitish birds) fly busily above the “marshes”...

and @7:56, being bugged by flying ants? hope it shows in the picture (white specks).

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree!