Capercaillies at Abernethy(Loch Garten Reserve)

I know that this part of these forums are mainly dealing with Ospreys at Loch Garten and elsewhere. But this subject can’t be well covered in other areas of these community forums.

I‘ve read that the early morning opening at the Loch Garten Osprey Centre in April and May have been discontinued in 2018 because of lack of sightings of Capercaillie over the last few years from the Loch Garten Osprey Centre. So my question in this thread, how are Capercailles doing as far as population goes of the Capercailles nesting at the Abernethy(Loch Garten Reserve?)

Regards,

Ian.

• Hi THOMO

I have been talking to a few local wildlife guides in the last few weeks, as I'm going up to Speyside for Easter Week. All of them have told me that the numbers are extremely low, that they have now removed capercaillies from the lists of birds they target on their visits, and that they would prefer people do not go looking for them, especially during breeding season now, so as to minimise disturbance of the few remaining birds. It is extremely worrying.

Barbara

Chocoholix shiny new 2018 Interactive Osprey & Chick Chart! (with clickable links!)