DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Sunday, 25 March 2018

One week from Easter Sunday, and all of us are anxiously awaiting EJ finding a lucky guy that lives up to her (and our) standards. At least, we now have the cam back, though we have not seen EJ since the cam has been back up. We can only trust she is nearby the nest (perhaps on the branch below) keeping intruders and curious pine martens at bay. At present a light wind ruffles the grasses on the nest. © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Obs make it sound like we're all in hospital!

I think we should stick with the current means of titling the daily threads.  It says exactly what it means.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Starling said:
    The Daily Update is for recording nest events only, if you have any questions, please ask them on the Osprey Chat Thread.

I think something like this is good.  It is short and straight to the point.

One further suggestion would be to include within the agreed text a link to the Osprey Chat Thread.  

• Clare Bailey said:
    Obs make it sound like we're all in hospital!

LOLOL! Maybe so, and point taken that people may not be familiar with the abbreviation. Okay, Let's keep the title "as is" with an added line under the intro. Someone may come up with another idea in the meantime. :-)

• I tend to think that as the season progresses, Daily Update threads tend to be much more observations based than in the early part of the season. To be honest I've probably been guilty of posting things that really belong in the Osprey Chat Thread. I don’t see anything wrong with slightly altering Daily Update titles to clearly mark them as the place for LG nest observations. Perhaps titles along the lines of: Daily Observations (Loch Garten Ospreys) Monday 25th March, 2018 might work. Of course I’m always open to corrections, and suggestions.

Paul. 

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Karen W said:
    One further suggestion would be to include within the agreed text a link to the Osprey Chat Thread.  

I like that idea but it changes according to the month, I think, and would we (meaning I) remember to adjust the link accordingly!!!? Well, none of us is perfect, so if it is wrong, someone will say so!

• Heron77 said:
    Daily Observations (Loch Garten Ospreys) Monday 25th March, 2018

DAILY OBSERVATIONS ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Sunday, 25 March 2018

• Sorry, CC. Trust me to get the day wrong.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• All quiet at LG just now. Looks a nice clear night there and I'm sure EJ will be on a nearby branch looking her usual phenomenal self.

• Unknown said:

I like that idea but it changes according to the month, I think, and would we (meaning I) remember to adjust the link accordingly!!!? Well, none of us is perfect, so if it is wrong, someone will say so!

[/quote]

Yes it does change monthly, CC.  I never thought of that!

Considering the Osprey Chat Thread is a general thread for all osprey nests - the only other solution that would satisfy LG nest discussion and permit a link would be to have dedicated Loch Garten thread for discussions/Q&As etc and named something like "Loch Garten Nest 2018 - Q&As.

A difficult one but I am sure between us, we'll come up with a solution.

• And Paul, I think we all have passed the time in the beginning and end of the seasons getting more chatty on this thread than during the active part of the season. And we have all inserted a bit humorous comment hopefully not derailing the point of the thread. That is what gives this community humanity and heart---that we can be human, respectful and have fun, too. In a way, it is the world's work to encourage respect for others' points of view. I think this community does this very well, and we have been challenged more than once to keep to this. From having been around for a few years, I know if I am wrong and I am called out here, it is not out of malice. OKAY---now I am OFF the soapbox!! And off for chores!