DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Sunday, 25 March 2018

One week from Easter Sunday, and all of us are anxiously awaiting EJ finding a lucky guy that lives up to her (and our) standards. At least, we now have the cam back, though we have not seen EJ since the cam has been back up. We can only trust she is nearby the nest (perhaps on the branch below) keeping intruders and curious pine martens at bay. At present a light wind ruffles the grasses on the nest. © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Thank you Sheila for such a comprehensive reply. It is so sad that so many don't make it to even their first birthday. The percentages are shocking. We have to be so grateful when these elder birds return for even a second season, let alone the enormity of our beautiful EJ, who has returned, for what, 18/19 years? Thanks once again.

• Yes i once asked too many questions and got criticised for it and didn’t come back for ages but I think it’s a tad confusing for newbies which part to ask questions etc??? When I started last year I just joined in everyone’s conversations lol I didn’t realise there was a protocol to follow so maybe if people realise it’s a newbie they could help or direct them to the correct part of the forum/blog????

A.S.Boardman

• Night cam on, 20:21

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Starling said:
    would it not be possible to mention that it's just for reporting action on the nest at the start of every new DU.

It's evident from comments that some don't have time for the first and subsequent pages, Starling, but leap to the end to make a comment or pose a question.  You make a very good point tho, IMHO - I think it should be incorporated in the thread title but not sure how to word it within the limits.

Anyway, I'm in tears now ;) because on returning to EJ's second visit to continue the video, I find that the ending was chopped off the one I published :'(  So I've done it again.  That's TWO today! >:(

• Unknown said:
    Yes i once asked too many questions and got criticised for it

You did not get criticised, Andrea, you got redirected - but that's a very good example of what I was talking about, it comes across as criticism when it's not :)

• scylla said:
    Yes i once asked too many questions and got criticised for it

[/quote]

So Andrea do you think it would have been better if someone had said something like please read first post on page one, or would it not have made any difference to how you felt?

• So...if I start a DU, should I include something like this at the bottom? Is it too long? Suggestions?

Please note we try our best to keep this DU thread for nest observations. Though we all blunder once in a while, keeping the thread focused helps with the record-keeping. Other comments and questions should be directed to the Osprey Chat thread. Thank you!

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Yes I DID get criticised and I felt ab dreadful just like I do now you need to remember that not everyone knows there way around this site I’ve only just realised what DU stands for?? I will respond to the question below. But believe you me it’s my last comment on this site

A.S.Boardman

• Yes that’s very polite and helpful

A.S.Boardman

• Unknown said:
    Please note we try our best to keep this DU thread for nest observations. Though we all blunder once in a while, keeping the thread focused helps with the record-keeping. Other comments and questions should be directed to the Osprey Chat thread. Thank you!

That's very good.  Anything like this will depend on every new poster reading the whole of the thread, though.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.