DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Friday, 23 March 2018

Her Royal Minxness kept us waiting yesterday, whiling away the time with a fish under the nest.

Photo courtesy of RSPB LG Facebook.

No reports of any other osprey in the immediate area, but EJ is concentrating on readying the nest - she's looking very eager to get on with her mission.

Photo courtesy of BirdieNumNum

• Good morning!

Can't hang about, lots to do.  I do think you could have had the goodness to post a few captures while I was asleep >:(

;-D

• patily said:

I wonder if she knows how much she is adored?

I don't think anyone can know that, whatever their species.  I do suspect she has an idea she occupies a special nest, though.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• scylla said:
    I do think you could have had the goodness to post a few captures while I was asleep >:(

Sorry, Scylla - you'll just have to make do with lots of captures as opposed to a few!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hazel b said:
    I wonder what she is thinking? Just hoping for a male to turn up?

I'd also love to know what's going through her Beautiful head.   She usually spends a fair amount of time scanning the skies at the beginning of the season.

Hazel b said:
    She does not look relaxed to me. 

Understandable, after last season's events.  She'll surely be hoping a suitable male (whoever it is) will make it back before CT6 does.

• Blimey, we're already up to 65 posts!

• I think it will be very interesting to see how EJ reacts when the first male appears.

Will she readily accept a new mate or hold off and wait for Odin?

• Karen W said:

I think it will be very interesting to see how EJ reacts when the first male appears.

Karen, I would guess that she won't wait for Odin. Ian

• Karen W said:

I think she'll readily accept a serious male but she'll keep a weather eye out for Odin.

• Hazel b said:

I wonder what she is thinking? Just hoping for a male to turn up?

She does not look relaxed to me. 

It must be a tense time for any osprey. A suitable mate is the next part of the jigsaw, and some female aggression is surely on the cards until a pair are established - she must know this, with her long history.

• Sorry, got carried away again: