FCS ABERFOYLE - 2018

Earlier I posted the latest position for Blue LH0(17)   640  (from Clarach's first nest in 2017) who is still enjoying life in Heulva, Spain.  I then realised it was still the 2017 thread.  So I am reposting on this 2018 Aberfoyle thread.  Or should Blue LH0(17) be on the Satellite Tracked Ospreys thread, rather than on the 2018 Season?

The link to the 2017 thread is here,  and I will repeat some of Mary's start to that thread:

CLARACH Blue 2R(13)f  from the DYFI Osprey Project settled on the FCS Aberfoyle's main nest last year, and attracted an unringed male.

ABERFOYLE WEBCAM LINK - It operates between the hours of 09.30 am to 5.30 pm.

THE LODGE AT FOREST VISITOR CENTRE - Facebook Page where you will find current information and also historic info on the project.

This is the story of the return of Clarach to Wales
The Lodge announced that Clarach arrived on the nest at Aberfoyle on 20 April 2017. 
The 2016 chicks from the same nest with two unringed breeding birds, were Blue PC0(16) m and  Blue PC1(16) m (died/MIA/tag failure in Portugal) were both males were tagged, and Blue PC2(16) f .

Roll on the 2018 Season!
  • Sheila, thanks for setting up this new thread. Ian

• LOL  actually it is not working.  I copied part of Mary's text, and it appears briefly, before disappearing, so I will type it again ...

Clarach, Blue 2R(13) f from the DYFI Osprey Project, settled on the FCS Aberfoyle's main nest, which is I think about five miles from the VC, and attracted an unringed male.

The Lodge announced that Clarach arrived on the nest at Aberfoyle on 20 April 2017. 

She and her mate produced three chicks:  Blue PC0(16)m and Blue PC1(16) m (died in Portugal) were both tagged, and Blue PC2(16) f.

This is the story of the return of Clarach to Wales.

Aberfoyle webcam link operated last year between the hours of 09.30hr to 17.30 hrs.  I don't know when they will become live this year.

The Lodge at Forest Visitor Centre - Facebook Page where updates will no doubt be posted.

Roll on the 2018 Season!

• Hi Sheila. I think Clarach laid 3 eggs but one of the chicks died shortly after hatching. So now I am confused about which one (LH0 or LH1) is PC0, PC1 or PC2? I didn't know PC1 had died in Portugal but maybe missed a post.

• Clarach arrived 2017 . The story of the 3 chicks from 2016 were the PC's - Both adult birds were unringed.  Three chicks - two males Blue PC0 and PC1 and one female Blue PC2 .  The males have had satellite trackers fitted.  PC0  - last communication with the tracker was in October when the youngster  was in Portugal. There have been no sightings, photos etc of the bird  so we hope he's doing ok.   PC1 made it to Gibraltar but hadn't moved for a while. He was located  and handed in but sadly died. He wasn't in poor condition and a post  mortem was inconclusive.

• LHO is the only one whose tracker is working and he is one of clarachs offspring from 2017 , the hunt is on shortly to get a photo as he now seems very settled near Huelva , LH1's tracker stopped working when he was over the Sahara on 13/10/2017 , this does not mean in anyway he has died , I personally think the trackers are very unreliable .

• Thanks Valerie, very helpful.

On reflection, I should have remembered the PC0/1/2 tags as I took a photo last year in the Visitors' Centre at Aberfoyle of the board showing the history of the nest, pairings, hatches etc. 

• THIS IS THE LINK TO THE OPENING THREAD FOR FCS ABERFOYLE 2017

Please note that the post that Sheila made above about the 2016 brood, was not what I typed in my opening thread in 2017.   

• Unknown said:
    I think Clarach laid 3 eggs but one of the chicks died shortly after hatching.

That's correct.  The staff at Aberfoyle said that both Clarach and her mate tried to feed the third chick but there must have been something wrong with it and it died.

Here's hoping both parents return safely and have another successful season.  I must confess I also live in hope that another Dyfi-born bird makes it back to the UK this year!

• Unknown said:

Hi Sheila. I think Clarach laid 3 eggs but one of the chicks died shortly after hatching. So now I am confused about which one (LH0 or LH1) is PC0, PC1 or PC2? I didn't know PC1 had died in Portugal but maybe missed a post.

Korky:  I posted the thread in haste, without checking properly, and have now edited to hopefully eliminate any ambiguity.

The data on the 2017 tagged chicks from the Forestry Commission Scotland site are available here.   "Eight Osprey chicks were tagged in summer 2017 with Movetech Telemetry 'Flyway 25' tags by Forestry Commission Scotland, as part of their long-term project into this species. Juvenile Ospreys will migrate to Africa and will probably spend at least a year in Africa before before returning to Scotland."

Only 640-Blue LH0(17)'s (Aberfoyle)  transmitter continues to work of the eight tags.

Osprey 600 (Aberfoyle area) Last signal: 28/09/2017 09:07:20 - Morocco - no Darvic info

Osprey 630/Perky/Blue PY2(17)f (TV)   died, and was recovered in the Jura, Switzerland.  It was considered likely it was taken by an Eagle Owl whilst at overnight roost,

Osprey 632/Pinky/ Blue PY1(17) f  (TV)  Last signal:  04/10/2017 12:29:06 - in Spain on the Portuguese border NW of Coimbra

Osprey 634/Blue PY7(17) f (Caerlarverock)  Last signal: 02/10/2017 11:46:17 - Southern Senegal  

Osprey 365/Blue PY5(17)f  (Caerlaverock)  Last signal: 15/10/2017 15:36:42 - NW Portugal

Osprey 637 (Aberfoyle area)Last signal:  28/11/2017 14:41:56 - La Gomera, Canary Islands.  Though to have come from the Aberfoyle area.  Interestingly Lalli (13) from Finland flew over the Canaries October 2013 and many have roosted on Gomera overnight, so this isn't a first to the island.  No Darvic info

Osprey 640/Blue LH0(17) m (Aberfoyle)  Last  signal: 08/02/2018 13:46:43 - - is at Huelva, Spain.  The data are updated almost daily!

Osprey 641/Blue LH1(17) m (Aberfoyle) Last signal: 13/10/2017 14:53:10 - Western Sahara

The Lodge posted this comment Blue LH1(17) m/Osprey 641 on 10 January 2018: The Lodge Forest Visitor Centre  Osprey Update: LH1's tag has not transmitted since 13th October 2017, we have had issues with a number of tags malfunctioning so unless the bird is seen either back in this country in 2019 or photographed in Africa we may never know what happened.

I believe the information I have given is correct.  Please feel free to correct, if necessary!

• Thanks to everyone for wonderfully detailed information.

CCC (Clarach Countdown Clock)  (and her mate, and everyone else).

Many thanks Tiger for making this happen.

(and I've even remembered how to do posh links)