Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 January 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Broad-Billed Hummingbird, Arizona USA
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (copyright-free)

• Thanks, on both counts, Diane! I did make a note of the bird, somewhere, but lost it! I still go often to the Shetland webcam you mention, from when you mentioned it before. Interesting to see how different their weather is, sometimes. I noticed only the other day that they'd moved their website.

A bit damp here, still. The sun comes out now and then, but its showery. My OH has pressed on with the painting. I've done my ironing and some other jobs, and now I'm trying to move stuff out of our guestroom, without putting it back where it came from, in our bedroom!

• LINDY- sympathies to you regarding shifting things around, ready for your son to stay tomorrow! I'm sure that he will be prepared to jump over stuff, as long as the bed is available to sleep in.

DIANE- enjoy watching the Shetland festivities! I will be looking in, also, although no family members from Aberdeenshire taking part this year. Well, no pipers or drummers. OH' s cousins live up there, very involved in music so guess they will be there

• Very much enjoyed "The Post" at Vue. It starred the wonderful Meryl Streep" so was always going to be a goodie.

• Just completed our online report of BGBW numbers.  No problem!  Numbers not very satisfying as many of our regular birds did not show up in the allotted hour!

• Same here! - no sign of our lovely woodpecker :-(

• Just in case - does anyone here know how we can count up to 50+ starlings in one hit - and this is in winter! Heaven knows what we are going to get this Spring/Summer!

• Diane: I watched the Up Helly Aa festival last year, thanks to you - it was great watching folks on the other side of the world having so much fun.

AQ: Are you sure you don't have the same pollies as we have?

dibnlib: We're off to see The Post on Thursday; also planning to see Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri - we like Frances McDormand.

I'm very late pruning back the roses this year - must do them all in the next two weeks, plus tackle the huge shrubs along the back before the birds start their nests.

Have a good Tuesday all.

• Annette: The film, Three Billboards..., has spawned a growing controversy. I suspect that arguments about the movie will be in full throttle by Oscar time. I haven't seen it, so I have no opinion. I won't say anything further and spoil the plot for you, but I'll be interested to find out what you thought of it.

Eagle-Eye: Nice to see you!!!

Heather: I'm looking forward to Up Helly Aa! I really should go north and get groceries tomorrow, but I'm still not feeling well. I received my much anticipated cheque for my freelance project today. Yay!!!!!! So I'm going to drag myself out briefly in the morning to the nearby small town, go to the bank, and then pick up a pizza and a mocha sticky bun from the town's new Italian restaurant. That's a real treat for me! My town is so tiny that it's rare indeed for us to get a new restaurant -- or anything. I'll be all set to enjoy the fire festival! I'll look around for the Great Horned Owl that stays on the edge of town.  

AQ: Pollies excuses never make sense, at least not here in the U.S. It was very blustery here today when I walked to the mailbox. I'll direct the cold winds your way.

• Brrr. It’s c-c-cold. It only reached 23 C today. I caught up with ironing . . . before next heatwave. How did it get this late? I’m supposed to cooking tea.

• Good Morning, All.  Dry here, yay!  AQ, we celebrate when we get into double figures, as that's warm for winter. Enjoy your "cool" weather!

Diane - Congrats on getting paid - enjoy your celebrations!

Friend and I wanted to see "Three Billboards" but for some reason they're only showing it in the evenings. We're going to see "Early Man" tomorrow afternoon!