Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 January 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Broad-Billed Hummingbird, Arizona USA
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (copyright-free)

• Good morning all.

Thanks for starting us off, Diane.  I love hummingbirds.  I have Anna’s that visit my feeder.

Just had to share today’s experience.  I’ve known for some time there is a breeding pair of ospreys locally, in Newport Beach.  They have a purpose-built nesting platform in the “Back Bay” and apparently have had at least two offspring return to the county.  Unfortunately, they don’t have a nest cam, nor a “fan club” like the British ospreys.  Last year, on our frequent walks on the “Boardwalk” (concrete bike path) between two piers, we saw them a few times, mostly from some distance.  Today, my OH said, “Look!” and there was one crossing right in front of us, flying in from the ocean trailing what I’m guessing was washed-up kelp strands.  He expressed hope that’s what it was and not some human fishing gear or other problem material.  And a few seconds later there came a second, also clutching trailing strands.  Looks like nesting season is well and truly started here.

Clare – Loved your photos, especially the grey herons.  We often see great blue herons here, nesting near the boardwalk and collecting strands of ice plant for nesting material.  I love seeing them in flight.

A question for those who’ve been to Loch Garten – is “The Boat” the place to stay?  Or are the other options equally good/better?  We prefer an ensuite room with either two twin beds or a queen.  Thanks.

• Lynette – My mouth is watering remembering the taste of cranachan.

Expected max today 42 C, but already passed 43 in city. A mere 36 here near the beach. Cool change late afternoon – can’t wait for cooler weather. Too hot in computer room, I’m returning to a/c room.

• Evening all:

Diane: Thank you for starting us off with such a bright and busy bird.

Lynette: Thanks for reminding us about Burns Night -  glad you had a good time and hope others on the thread who might have celebrated did too.  

AQ/Lynette:  Had to Google Cranachan - it looks WONDERFUL. Raspberries, cream, whisky, honey and oatmeal.  Apparently, the authentic version calls for heather honey and one U.S. site claims that North American raspberries are more sour and less flavorful than Scottish ones.  They suggest adding sugar, honey and whisky to the crushed raspberries....

Lindybird:  Relieved to hear the paint selection is going well.   :-)

Clare: Great heron pix!

Michele: I know the Back Bay, though  not well.  We have some ospreys up here too near the beach, plus another pair up at Lake Cachuma.  

OH and I did a lot of catch up planning today - now all we have to do is follow through.    Meanwhile, temps are way above normal and no rain in the forecast.   :-(

• Good Morning All, and thanks to Diane for starting the new week. Soon it will be February, hooray! A lovely Hummingbird pic, too :-)

• Today's pic:

"Is it springtime yet??"

• Hello everyone

DIANE - thank you for starting the week. I can understand the feeling of foreboding that you expressed the other day.

You asked about my brother - he lives in north west France, in central Brittany. They have indeed had a lot more rain this year but no flooding. He hasn't mentioned if the river Blavet has caused any problems, down in the little town in the valley. (St Nicolas des Eaux) - he lives 'up the hill'. I heard on the radio that the Seine in Paris is running very high and that the Louvre had moved items up from lower floors.

ANNETTE - so back to the old routine! Hope you and daughter had a good time last week.

LYNETTE - Glad that you enjoyed the Burns Supper! I used to make cranachan from time to time but had mine without the whisky!

LINDY - I guess that your OH is busy with the painting etc. My son in law is hard at it just now. The glossing is completed and the wall behind the bed is papered so I guess that they will be back in their bedroom tonight. From what I hear, their two kittens didn't take kindly to having other folk sleeping in 'their' space!

Hope you slept well after the wine:-)

AQ - So more pasties to make, now! It must be uncomfortable working in the kitchen in such high temperatures, and working with pastry, ditto. Not long before nanny duties return?

MICHELE - I have never stayed near Loch Garten but I hope that someone on here will be able to give you advice about hotels. Failing that, TripAdvisor?

Better go and prepare lunch. Eldest daughter is popping in this afternoon with new cartridges for my printer.

• Michele - have eaten excellent dinner at "The Boat" but never stayed there - we used a B&B in Grantown on Spey.  I guess it depends on what standard you are looking for and whether you will be touring England and Scotland in a hire car.  Try googling The Grant Arms Hotel in Grantown - they do wildlife tours and talks - known as "The wildlife Hotel" - they would cover both good accommodation and transport to wild places!  And if their event sandwiches are anything to go by, I think you would get good food too!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Michele – We have been going up there for ten years although last year is the last. We have eaten in the Grant Arms but had to book right at the beginning of our 3 week period in order to get an evening dinner booking for our last night. They are really geared up for UK and foreign package coach tours.

We ended up using the Garth Hotel which is family run. My older stepdaughter and family stayed there last Easter for a week after stopping at Gretna Green (for the usual occasion!). They found it comfortable and, as we know, the food is good. It became our bolt-hole. It will also be a bit cheaper than the Grant Arms. Hope this helps.

• F B we also have had very good meals at the Garth - I just thought the Grant Arms packages might be helpful for overseas vistors who don't know the area!  It depends what Michele is looking for and whether she will have transport!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Hello all. Thanks Diane for starting us off.

Went to church this morning and then had to go to our nearest pet supermarket to get some flea treatment for our cat, she has them again.

Also called in at our local Cineworld and booked seats for Wednasday - OH and I are going to see Darkest Hour which I believe has had good reviews.

Love the picture of the merecats, Lindybird.  Must now go and fill in my Big Bird Watch form.