• First blog of 2018 from Holly

Link >>>  Winter Work Parties

• In reply to Karen:

Latest Education News from Holly 

Link >>> Education News Letter

Interesting to read within the newsletter that 2017 was also a record year for the ospreys - 8 pairs raising 15 chicks.

I wonder how many there will be this year!

• In reply to Karen:

Thank you for starting this thread off, Karen, and for all the excellent links you have attached.  What will 2018 bring for us this season, I wonder!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018

• In reply to SheilaFE:

Thank you Karen. The count down begins!

Birdies LG DU update.

• In reply to Mike:

Thanks for the new thread and the links, Karen.  Fingers crossed for the safe return of all of the usual Rutland Birds this year!

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Hi Sheila, Mike and Gardenbirder -

Yes, as Mike says, "let the countdown begin".  Only a few weeks to go and they will be taking off.  

I too wish them all a safe journey home.

• In reply to Karen:

I am really curious about the 8th pair/nest!

Reading back, I cannot find any information as to the IDs of the other pair or nest only Holly’s September blog “By the Beach” that includes a video titled “Lagoon 4 Juvenile Osprey” by David Cole showing the juvenile flying around Lagoon 4 and taking a bath.  

I am now wondering if one of the unattached six males paired up and successfully raised a chick at Lagoon 4.    

Does anyone know? 

• In reply to Karen:

I can't check my notes at the moment, but I don't think there was a nesting pair on either Lagoon 4 or Lagoon 1. If I find anything tomorrow, I'll let you know. Back on my hobby horse, but it would be wonderful to have a full round up of nests, pairs and chicks, as they used to a few years ago.

• In reply to SheilaFE:

Thanks Sheila.  

Likewise, I didn't think there was a nesting pair at Lagoon 4 but in David's video the juvenile looks so much at home flying around the nest/perch hence me wondering.  

I had forgotten about Lagoon 1 plus there is also Site B - 03(97)'s nest.   I think 30(10) showed some interest in 2016 but have not seen any updates about Site B.

• In reply to Karen:

I've just been able to view the vid - I see it says "A short video of one of the juvenile ospreys paying a visit to lagoon 4".  It's a pity RW couldn't read the Darvic!  It's a lovely vid, and one I haven't seen before (I was away in early Sept last year), so thank you for posting the link, Karen.