Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 January 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Masked Boobies with Chick
Tern Island at Hawaiian Islands National Wildlife Refuge
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (Copyright-Free)

• Unknown said:
    I revere all Earth's creatures, but there wasn't anything cute about that wee fella. LOL!!! This photo looks like mine. 

Awwwww - it looks quite sweet.  How dangerous is it to humans?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Lindy - we have all been there sometime!

• We get Pygmy Shrews on Lundy...

Much loved and it seems the more you see scurrying in your cottage the luckier you are :-)

• Lindybird - and paint looks different in different light.

• Diane = I also love all of earth's creatures but I want them in their natural habitat, not in my house!

• I had a lovely day at Minsmere today - click on this energetic pair to see a few more photos:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• bjane said:

Lindybird - and paint looks different in different light.

We've decided to let it dry, and discuss it all again tomorrow.  I'm not sure that I'm going to be happy with it, so we may have to choose and buy some more. As we've had the previous colour scheme for 14 years, I'm hoping we can have the new one for just as long.

Annette: Having soft pastels, and putting either a large pattern or a striking colour on one wall, is very popular here, now. We have either soft lemon on the walls or very pale biscuit. The study which is a small room hiding away next to the front door, is papered in a textured pale plum (with some large copies of ospreys pictures stuck up behind the desk!).

• Still cool enough (not yet 9 am) for front & back doors to be open to air the house. I must remind OH to keep screen doors firmly closed to keep out critters!. I have watered my tomatoes & leafy greens and draped with old sheets as 35 expected. Tomato bushes have no leaves, just bare stems with 2 or 3 small tomatoes ripening each day. The leafy greens are either wilted or sunburnt. This morn OH found a bird and a small skink on front lawn, both dead. The heat must be too much for them. Worse next few days. Many Aussie Day events have been cancelled due to extreme heat.

• Hello folks, just started to read through pages. Birthday went well with a family meal.   Unfortunately D-in-L couldn't make it as she was exhausted and had picked up an infection due to working all hours at the NGH . As you know the hospitals are extremely overworked at present and she has been going in to cover in the Infection Control area as she is the Head of the department. Son came over though so we drank , ate, drank wine and had a lovely time.

AQ - looks like you are having a really hot one this year. Hope Dau and family did eventually materialize and that you had time together.

• Diane: Re the shrew's method of "seeing" I was wondering if the dependence on echo-whatnot would eventually result in the disappearance of eyes (over a millions or so years!)

AQ: My heart melts for you! Didn't you lose tomato plants last year too?  And is this (another) unusually hot summer?  We're have a too-warm winter and not enough rain.

Lindybird: Oh crikey, why is paint such a problem!! As others have noted, it looks different in different lights and sometimes it doesn't even look like the paint you decided on in the first place. I think that's why OH and I originally went with a creamy-white throughout..... Still, it's a good idea to live with it a couple of days and see how you feel.

Daughter and I were out and about this morning and there are still convoys of dump trucks moving mud and rocks from the Montecito mud slide to various locations up and down the coast. Some people are being allowed back into some neighborhoods, but two are still missing (a toddler and a teen), both in families where other members died too.  :-(