Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 January 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Masked Boobies with Chick
Tern Island at Hawaiian Islands National Wildlife Refuge
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (Copyright-Free)

• Morning all:  Well, brilliant. All we'd need is a tsunami but as noted, it has been called off.  Wonder if all the alert systems we're signed up for would work during a government shutdown (also called off).....  Fiasco central!

SheilaFE:  Whale count starts February 14 and I'm signed up for the 11-1 shift.  :-))

Off to see what's what in our house....

• Had a busy day - Friend popped in whilst passing, so we had a cuppa, and my OH returned from golf and attacked the decorating again. This afternoon I scraped past a big lorry delivering new bricks to one of the houses in our road which has been sold and is being virtually rebuilt from the inside, out. There's been a lot of activity for a couple of weeks now.

Went to get errands in the car, as it looked like rain, although it turned out that I could have walked as it stayed dry. Bang goes one of my resolutions!

• I have been to several of Neil Diamond's concerts when we lived in Arizona. Fantastic performer. I was happy to hear that he will continue recording and writing songs.

Michele- I am close to being a "Crazy Cat Lady" as I have 4 cats. They are each so different and I love each of them to bits! Stray cats seem to find their way into my yard and my heart. Over the last few years I have rescued 7 cats, found homes for 4 and kept 3 myself.

• Evening all:  Another busy day and an early start tomorrow! Phew!  All well though.

Lindybird: Lots of days left to renew your resolutions. Good luck with all the construction.

bjane: Four cats!  Eeek.  You're a better man than I am Gunga Din.  It's brilliant that you've rescued so many cats and found homes for a good number. All these animals are at the mercy of the humans who care (or don't care) for them...  It's interesting though, what makes people either cat or dog types. My next pet, if I were going to get another one (which I'm not) would be a dog.

Have a good Wednesday all.

• This story is embarrassing -- I shouldn't even tell it here -- but I will because it might make some of you laugh. First, you have to understand the situation.

A couple of days ago, the weather pattern here changed temporarily and my area received some southern air. The temperature soared almost to 60F or 15.5C, which is oddly warm for this time of year. When the weather started to revert back to normal, the skies grew dark and I knew we were in for a rollicking good thunderstorm, just like during our spring. The wind started to roar. 

I realized I'd left a garden chair near my car, and I didn't want it to blow around. I propped open the door of my enclosed porch and ran out to retrieve the chair. I stopped to wipe off the rain and then hauled it inside. I was a little worried when I saw that the wind had blown open the door to the rest of my house. I was remembering the little field mouse who got in the last time I propped open my door!

I was right to be worried. Tonight, I was sitting at my desk, engrossed in the Bernie Sanders' Healthcare Town Hall on my computer. I heard a frantic rustling sound in my bedroom! Yup, in the BEDROOM! 

I got out the little humane cage I used to relocate the field mouse and set it up with some food and water. In about an hour, I heard the door close and the cage rattle. I ran into the room expecting another field mouse visitor. But...no.

Inside the cage was the most profoundly creepy little fella I've ever seen in my life. It was long and fuzzy with a short tail. It smelled bad. Its eyes were tiny and didn't look functional. I shuddered wildly!!!

I put the creature in my car and hurriedly drove it over to the crumbling, abandoned church ruins where I'd taken the little mouse. I slid the cage in and cringed while I opened the door to free it, whatever it was. 

I've just used Google images to find its species. I think it was a Northern Short-Tailed Shrew. I've never seen one, but apparently they're very common here in the Great Lakes region. I noticed this summer that the ground was soft around the sidewalk in front of my door, but I thought it was due to the work of moles. Now, I know it must have been the shrew!

An article in the Indianapolis paper says that these shrews have a tendency to run into buildings when doors are open. A science article I read said that they have a high mortality rate because they're very vulnerable to cold stress. They have a hard time maintaining their body temperature and weight when it's bitter outdoors. After that bout of Arctic cold we had, this little guy must have been desperate to get somewhere warm before the temps plummeted again. 

Here's the best part. I saved it for last. Northern Short-Tailed Shrews are one of the few VENOMOUS MAMMALS! That's right. They have venom! When they bite, they chew their victim to release the venom, which paralyzes their prey!!! And it was in my BEDROOM!

IN. MY. BEDROOM. 

I will never, ever leave my front door propped open again. Ever.

• Good Morning, All.  Glad you're enjoying your daughters visit, Annette.

Diane, that's a scary story. You must have been shaken up, I would have been. Poor little thing, though.  Thanks for sharing your tale.

Pouring rain here today so will be going to the hairdressers in the car!

• Today's pic:

"What's all this talk about cats!, I'm cute, too."

• Annette: I'm so glad you weren't hit by the tsunami! You folks in SoCal can't win for losing. That was a massive earthquake. It's no wonder it generated warnings. I've been sick for a couple of days, and I ran a fever yesterday so I slept through the afternoon.  I kept rousing awake, listening to NPR to see whether there was a tsunami developing, and then falling back asleep. I didn't post, but I was thinking of you. Hope your time with your daughter is going well. 

Clare: That was sad news about Neil Diamond. 

Michele D:  Welcome to this thread! I live in rural west-central Indiana. I live alone in the woods -- no partner or pets. I do have various wildlife that would like to live with me. LOL I hope you enjoy posting here. I love dogs and cats!

bjane: Several years ago when I was married, I rescued a lovely little cat -- Boo Boo -- that someone had dumped on our country road. I loved her dearly. It's wonderful that you've been so kind to the cat population. Good on you!

• SheilaFE said:

No doubt Diane will be able to fill us in.

Hi, Sheila, my friend. Nice to see you! 

The shutdown of our federal government is over for now, but it's just a short-term reprieve. The government could shut down again on February 8. You're right that there's a lot of risk when departments close their doors. I don't think that the political parties (and even the people within the parties) in Washington are even close to an agreement for funding the government. I don't think they'll be able to produce legislation before the February 8 deadline. Others might disagree with me. It's scary when it closes down -- just like in the case of the earthquake/tsunami data you pointed out. Hope you're well, Sheila!

• Heather: Recipe as requested.

Goan pork vindaloo

Yields: 4

1 tsp Cumin powder

1 teasp Coriander; ground

Cardamom; 1/4 tsp ground

1 tsp black pepper; ground

cloves; 1/2 tsp ground

Cinnamon ; 1/2 tsp ground

1 tsp Ginger ; ground

7 tsp Garlic paste

2 tsp Chilli Sauce

3 tbsp White wine vinegar

400 g Pork with some fat on it; cubed

50 g Belly pork; cubed

4 tbsp Vegetable oil ; plus 1 tsp

1 small Onion; finely chopped

salt; to taste

1. Mix the ground spice mixture with the vinegar to a paste until well combined and season with a pinch of salt. Rub the mixture all over the pork using your fingers, then set the pork aside, covered, to marinate for 1½-2 hours.

2. Heat four tablespoons of the oil in a non-stick pan. When the oil is hot, add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown.

3. Add the marinated pork pieces and fry for 6-7 minutes, turning once, until golden-brown on all sides. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid and cook for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the pork is tender. Add small splashes of boiling water to the pan as necessary if the juices in the pan dry out. Add as little water as possible as the resulting sauce should be quite thick.Serve with plain rice.

I usually try to marinate for 24 hours. I can't do it the same length of time as a sea voyage!