Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 January 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Masked Boobies with Chick
Tern Island at Hawaiian Islands National Wildlife Refuge
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (Copyright-Free)

• Evening all:  Very busy day with daughter; appointments got changed with little notice but that means we don't have to be anywhere or do anything tomorrow.  She's making noises about going to the gym/pool.  We have all day to make up our minds!

George:   What a shame your plans were upstaged by germs, then complicated by pesky appliances!  Always good to see you, so yes, don't stay away so long.  :-)

SheilaFE:  Good to see  you too!  I bet you're gearing up for the ospreys.

Michele D.  I used to work for Westways magazine (still churn out inconsequential and frothy little paragraphs for them), located at Fairview and S. Coast Drive and before that at the AARP Magazine in Long Beach (before AARP relocated the magazine to Washington DC).   OC has changed mightily over the last several decades.  

Have read all posts and news; sounds like the UK is warming up - but how is AQ doing I wonder....

Have a good Tuesday all.

• AQ is feeling like a wrung-out dish rag! It's a “cool” day (31 max + humid) so my oven is on, replenishing the supplies for freezer. This batch of pasties should help on super hot days & nanny days. We expect to temp to rise again steadily to 42 C at weekend.

• Ugh, AQ -- you must be wishing you had our cold and damp!

Good Morning, All.  Just getting light here. My OH is off to play golf on the damp course, and I have lots to do, including removing more stuff before he returns and picks up his paintbrush.

Michele, cats are such a joy. I've known many with real character in my time. How exciting that you're planning to come on over to the UK - have you been to this country before? I've never been to the USA, mainly because the thought of being on a plane for a long time fills my OH with horror.

• Here's today's pic:

"No, son, we're not cuddly pussycats, in fact we're not cuddly at all!"

• Good morning, all.  I've just read that Neil Diamond is retiring from touring on doctor's orders as he has Parkinson's Disease.  What sad news.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare Bailey said:

Good morning, all.  I've just read that Neil Diamond is retiring from touring on doctor's orders as he has Parkinson's Disease.  What sad news.

Clare Bailey said:

Good morning, all.  I've just read that Neil Diamond is retiring from touring on doctor's orders as he has Parkinson's Disease.  What sad news.

Very sad news, Clare - I've enjoyed his music over the many years he's been performing.

• Tsunami alert for Pacific coast - Alaska, Canada, US - following big earthquake off Kodiak, Alaska.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• I've just read about this and this, OG.  It includes CA, so thinking about Annette, once more.

Edit: just read further back, thoughts too perhaps for Michele?

Edit again!  It has been pointed out elsewhere data are coming in slowly, because the Government shut down the USGA and the NOAA.  Their websites say they are closed for business. They are apparently only just starting to respond with reduced staff.

No doubt Diane will be able to fill us in.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Unknown said:
    SheilaFE:  Good to see  you too!  I bet you're gearing up for the ospreys.

Many thanks Annette, I certainly am!  Have you started your annual grey whale count yet?

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Looks like Tsunami alert has been scaled back.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!