As 2017 Drains Away

Just over 150 minutes of 2017 left now. 

What better way to spend it than telling us about the high points and low points of the 2017 osprey season?

Best moment?

Worst moment?

Or is it time to start stamp collecting? 

• Low points have to be all around the LG nest, with the severe intrusion, the loss of Odin, the loss of the chicks, and then the early departure of EJ.  The uncertainty of the demise or whereabouts of both EJ and Odin, who started my real osprey passion, is hard to absorb.

Highlights have to include Loch Arkaig, which was an absolute joy to follow.  The return of Clarach was wonderful: to have seen her as a chick, and maturing to a breeding female.  Two personal highlight were sightings of osprey in the wild, one in Northumberland, the other in Norfolk!

As for the EJ sweep, well until we have evidence, I will live in hope, so yes please!!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Hazel b said:

So does the EJ sweep start as normal on 1st March? 

Yes, absolutely!  She's far too formidable a bird to be written off.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• SheilaFE said:

Low points have to be all around the LG nest, with the severe intrusion, the loss of Odin, the loss of the chicks, and then the early departure of EJ.  The uncertainty of the demise or whereabouts of both EJ and Odin, who started my real osprey passion, is hard to absorb.

Highlights have to include Loch Arkaig, which was an absolute joy to follow.  The return of Clarach was wonderful: to have seen her as a chick, and maturing to a breeding female.  [...]

As for the EJ sweep, well until we have evidence, I will live in hope, so yes please!!

There, Sheila, you formulated my thoughts for me.

IMAGICAT

• Glad to have been of help!  Hope you are feeling better now!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Happy New Year, Scylla the Magnificent!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Glad to see MC posting again. I did manage to speak to her yesterday...just. She was struggling to speak and obviously still not fully recovered.

• Happy New Year to all.

A trip to Loch Garten opened my eyes to these wonderful creatures, inevitably therefore the 2017 season at LG was the low-point. Plus points were the first time parenting efforts of Louis & Aila at Loch Arkaig & the fact that the effervescent Lachlan somehow seemed to thrive. Another big plus (here comes the sychophantic bit!!) was the realisation that there are so many people dedicated to the welfare of all wildlife in the face of either apathy or hostility from the rest of humankind.

Ian   

• Best moments are so many but I would say Chris Wood finding two ospreys in Gambia/Senegal are high on the list , both have non working trackers = FR3 in the Gambia and Rothiemurchus in Senegal .

Personally for me the worst part of 2017 was Odin going AWOL and then EJ and losing the chicks (LG made right decision) - although I was at LG when EJ went so I have that picture in my mind , I have not given up on either of them . Another worst was seeing the bad side of facebook , let us hope peace in 2018 but time will tell .

Valerie

• Valerie D said:
    I have not given up on either of them

Glad to have your company, Valerie :)

(I can speak a bit better today, Mike, and am feeling a bit better "in myself".)

IMAGICAT