As 2017 Drains Away

Just over 150 minutes of 2017 left now. 

What better way to spend it than telling us about the high points and low points of the 2017 osprey season?

Best moment?

Worst moment?

Or is it time to start stamp collecting? 

• Best - Have to pick two, when our beloved EJ returned to LG followed by the arrival of the handsome Odin.

Worst - When our handsome Odin disappeared.

No stamp collecting yet, I don't think.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hazel b said:
    Best moment?

Seeing EJ at her nest on the 4th of July.  I'm not American but somehow the date still feels appropriate.

Hazel b said:
    Worst moment?

The sheer horror of all three of EJ's chicks starving to death.  LG were correct to not intervene but it still feels awful.

Hazel b said:
    Or is it time to start stamp collecting? 

Absolutely not!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Best moment most have been hearing about the Poole translocation.

I suppose the realisation that Odin was missing was a pretty low point. 

• I have been quite ill (flu?) since well before Christmas and am still not recovered by any means.  I've been reading the threads but words failed me for Margo and Brenda RIP :'(

It has been a terrible year at Loch Garten and I can't accept the almost certain loss of our two beautiful birds as a couple.  Here's to them, and to all of us faithful followers in the coming season.

Sorry that this doesn't address the original post.

IMAGICAT

• Hazel b said:
    I suppose the realisation that Odin was missing was a pretty low point. 

The year's understatement, Tiger.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I have to agree with both Scylla and Clare that the tragedy at LG was indeed the low point.

The high points were the Poole Translocation project, Clarach's return to breed, the 'antics' at Loch Arkaig and Dyfi's three chicks.

• Mike B said:

I have to agree with both Scylla and Clare that the tragedy at LG was indeed the low point.

The high points were the Poole Translocation project, Clarach's return to breed, the 'antics' at Loch Arkaig and Dyfi's three chicks.

Seeing Clarach and her chicks at Aberfoyle and watching Eitha bringing a fish to the Dyfi nest she'd caught herself were also great moments!

• Some high points for me but two if I am allowed - FR3 found and then Rothiemurchus.

Worst point LG nest - after EJ's sterling efforts through the snow to protect her precious eggs to lose the chicks and Odin within a few days was heartbreaking.    I am willing her to return safely.  

• Tempo said:
     I am willing her to return safely.  

You're not the only one.  She is an incredible osprey.

• So does the EJ sweep start as normal on 1st March?