Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 December 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

We begin the year with a Full Moon on the night between Monday and Tuesday. This Full Moon is also a so-called Supermoon, because it will occur just hours after the moon reaches perigee (its closest point to Earth in its monthly orbit). 

I cherish you all, and I wish you a joyful, peaceful, healthy, and fulfilling 2018! Thank you for being my friends. 

• A very happy New Year to you both, OG!  Good to know you're not at risk.

Great to hear from you!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• That is a great thread about the bittern, Clare.

I looked at your starling murmuration. I see what you mean, it did take a long time

for the photos to appear, but I was patient. Impressive! I did not count the pictures!

Lindy, I like your descriptions of all the yummy things you eat at your friend's houses.You seem to live in a very sociable area.

• Rosy - Its Northern hospitality!  Actually, we go out much much less than we used to. We lived in a Close with eight houses in it, before living here, and we were good friends with all seven other families. Also, my OH is, as I said, local man (he's never lived outside a 3 mile radius of where he was born) so can't go out of the house without falling over someone he went to school with. Even though he's now 73.

When we had young children, we used to go to and to give dinner parties, so that we could all go out occasionally, sometimes the children were babysat ( EDIT: we all had some!) and sometimes they were put to bed in the house we were in. That way, it was nice to be sociable even though it was your turn to cook, occasionally. Sadly, we have now lost track of the two other couples involved who both got divorced, but we still see my Friend and her OH, who we've known since our Youngest was 3 years old, which is nearly 37 years now!!!!

• OG - Nice to hear from you.  And good to know that you're safe from this bad weather.

Our outside Christmas lights are waving around madly, in the wind!

• Hello all and a bit of a damp start to 2018 but hope all is well with you. I see another storm is blowing in tonight!!

Thank you for all your news. Pity about the freezer, Forestboar, hope all goes well when new one is delivered.

OG - good to hear you are above the really risky area for flooding but nevertheless, do hope that Annan is kept clear of flooding and indeed in that area.

Quiet New Year, saw the Big Ben chimes and what a firework display - went up to bed soon afterwards.  Did a roast turkey dinner for NY Day.

Take care all and stay safe.

• Good Morning, All. We've only had blustery winds, here, but apparently it's been quite severe in parts. Hope everyone has stayed safe.

Lynette - We recorded the London firework display, and it was certainly jaw dropping! Wave after wave of colour, and all in time to the music.

• Today's pic:

"What did you say?"

• Good morning, all.  I hope the strong winds haven't seriously affected anyone here.

I did read one snippet of news which made me smile:

In Cheshire, the RSPCA was called to a road in Poynton where a swan had taken up residence in a puddle, blocking traffic.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good to know that OG will be OK.

After a couple of days of reflection -

I have made several resolutions.

1. I will try to focus more on positive things

2  I will look upon the garden as a challenge rather than as a burden

3  I will manage my money better.

4  I will drink less red wine!

The past year has been full of nothingness. A whole year gone, spent in gloomy reminiscence. Wishing that the clock could be turned back.

The sun is shining this morning and that always makes a difference! I am not particularly religious but I am praying for my old enthusiasm for life to return. It can't be gone for ever - it is lurking somewhere :-)))) and I am the only one who can excavate it...

• Heather - you have been doing a lot of thinking!  This time of year, as I believe I have said before, is odd, as we look both backwards and forwards.  You have done both ... and my prayers for you are that 2018 will be a time of rebuilding and refinding those parts of you that have been overwhelmed by events over the past year.  And part of that is your enthusiasm for life - which peeps through occasionally.  May it return fully.  We never forget those we have lost - but we learn to live in a different way.