'What have Ospreys Done for You?!'

Please tell us how you first became aware of the magic of Ospreys and when and where that was.  In 2011 Tiger posed this question, eliciting many fascinating replies so it is about time the question was asked again!  I have nicked Tiger's title and I trust someone will post a link to his 2011 thread, please--thanks!

As for me, while I grew up in a family fascinated by nature and wildlife and I had once or twice seen Ospreys in various places, I suppose my serious interest in Ospreys began (briefly!) in the early 1990s while on holiday in the States.  We were staying in a house on an Island off the North Carolina coast and the house had a balcony facing the Intracoastal Waterway.  About 100 feet out into the water there was a short post with an Osprey nest on top.  Our balcony was at about the same height as the nest which gave us a great view.  My main memory is watching a fish being delivered, the female taking it from the male and then watching her feeding the chicks.  I was struck by the contrast between the fierce appearance of the Osprey and the extreme gentleness with which she fed her chicks.  Back home, the distractions of life took over and the next time that Ospreys grabbed my attention was when I saw a photo of Lady (from the Loch of the Lowes nest)  in the newspaper along with a short article speculating about whether or not she would return.  Then EJ arrived at Loch Garten on my birthday and my fate was sealed--I was in love!  We had been RSPB members for many years by then, which meant finding the Community Forum was an easy next step, and I have been addicted to following Ospreys and the RSPB Forum ever since.  That was the spring of 2013 and my mania has grown and grown since then, taking in more and more nests each year. LOTL and Loch Garten were quickly followed by Rutland, Dyfi, Glaslyn, Bassenthwaite, Kielder, and on and on.  We have been fortunate to see Ospreys in person at Rutland Water every summer from 2013 on and last year we managed to visit both Dyfi and Glaslyn.  We are soooo lucky to have access to a huge variety of fabulous webcams and to a wealth of knowledge about Ospreys from all corners of the earth.  I have learned so much from all of you--thanks, ever so much!  It is amazing I have time to do anything else!

Kind regards, Ann

• Here is the 2011 thread.  See   What Have Ospreys Done for You?

I will update my post later as a lot has happened in six years. 

Gardenbirder. Where were you when posh links classes were going on? 

A long time ago there was someone called  Mike on here. He claimed he was useless at computers.  Then during one amazing Sunday in September 2012  (23 September)

There was one of the most amazing teaching sessions I have ever known. 

Mike became a total master of links. Every time I see him make one I think of that September Day. 

My thought on teaching

Mary Kerr  marked the event with a certificate 

• Thank you Tiger! I remember that September day so well!

My interest in Ospreys began in 1996 when I visited Rutland to see the first translocated Ospreys. I'd sat there in the upstairs viewing gallery of the Egleton centre for most of the day and had learned a great deal from the staff. Late in the day a lady asked me a question, in the absence of the staff, and I was able to answer it. The conversation continued and unbeknown to me the staff had returned and were quietly monitoring what was being said.  As I went to leave I was 'accosted' by a young Helen Dixon and offered the chance to be a volunteer in the following season. Helen,( now Helen McIntyre,) was the leader of the project and a young Tim Mackrill was a student helping out. Barrie Galpin set up the first website  which is still available and a valuable resource frequently used by both Tiger, myself and others. Barrie's wife Trisha was a member of that early team responsible for the volunteer's rota. 

I live some way from Rutland so in the years following I would go and stay up there for a week at a time and for Birdfair. Over those years I made many friendships which continue to this day and have watched, in particular, Tim's progress.

A couple of years back my wife and I made the trip to Loch Garten and Loch of the Lowes and met up with MaryGK and her long suffering husband!

As many will know the camera at LG has long been a source of comment and with that in mind Clare, Limpy and I went to Sandy in an attempt to get a message across.

Last year my wife and I made the trip to Wales to visit both Glaslyn and Dyfi. 

The advent of such superb cameras has given a whole new dimension to watching these amazing birds and my wife tells friends that between March and September I am glued to the computer, leaving my study only when essential!  

The phrase Ospreyholics  was coined on here and I am happy to confess to having joined the ranks of the afflicted.

The experience has given me enormous pleasure from meeting such a wide range of people, some in person, some over the internet and all with a common interest in Ospreys.

I could not leave this thread without mentioning Scylla whose dedication and nocturnal life style earned her the title of Mission Controller

Having read Tigers link from 2011 I am pleased to see comments from Margo (RIP)  As you will know there is currently a thread running for Chris, her husband, and I shall copy her posts to him.

The short answer to the title is:- Ospreys have done a great deal for me and I hope to return the favour !

• While teaching me "Posh links", I was taught how to do "Copy & Paste". It's no exageration to say that this brought me into the 21st century & have used this a million times (almost) in my voluntary work putting old bird observations on line, with the names of the numerous observers all Copy & Pasted. Plus naming thousands of moth photos, sending site links by mail...this changed my life. So thanks to all who helped at the time. 

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks, Tiger, for the link to your 2011 thread.  LOL, Tiger, but I missed posh links lessons entirely because I only joined this Forum in Spring of 2013!  However, since I managed to master 'copy and paste' about 8 years ago thanks to my personal tech expert (otherwise known as Mr GB), I may well be able to master posh inks.  Unfortunately, it seems to be the sort of thing which continually is pushed to the bottom of the daily list of things to do because it is 'less urgent'!

Mike, Thanks for your story of Osprey discovery.  How wonderful for you to have been in on the Osprey Project at Rutland Water from nearly the beginning.  That has been and is a fantastic project and I look forward to the day when, thanks to the newest translocation project, there will be nesting Ospreys at Poole Harbour.

Kind regards, Ann