Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 December 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY DECEMBER SOLSTICE

Please check back to last week's thread for information from Annette on the fire threat!!! She posted photos that you will want to see!!!

The December Solstice is Thursday at 4:28 p.m. in the U.K, 11:28 a.m. in the eastern U.S., 8:28 a.m. in California, and Friday, 22 December, at 2:57 a.m. in Adelaide, Australia! 

Everyone have a great week, and STAY SAFE, ANNETTE!

Juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• ANNETTE   Glad you have a little fresh air to enjoy.

LINDY   A nice little ditty, no matter what time of day it was composed. Love the horse.

AQ Thanks for the cards.

DIANE   Glad the mouse is safe and sound and not disturbing you.

• dibnlib: I'm glad you didn't get injured by the bus!!! I can empathize with you on that fear. I'm deeply afraid of two things: mountain lions (cougars) and yellow jackets (very aggressive wasps that nest in the ground). I've been swarmed twice in the last two years by yellow jackets. Last time, I received 13 stings, and I became very sick -- high fever, etc.! And dangity, dang, dang, the stings were very painful and made my foot and leg swell something fierce! 

When I first moved here from the city, I was frightened of all wasps. I overcame my fear of most of the species. I've even moved a wasp nest before. But yellow jackets still scare the daylights out of me!!! So you have my sympathy! 

• I don't mind wasps but hornets are something else entirely.  They even sound evil!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Unknown said:
    And dangity, dang, dang,

Blimey.  That must have been really painful for so many dangs!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare and dibnlib: Eastern Yellow Jacket

Clare: LOL! Those stings hurt for days...!

• Unknown said:
    Clare and dibnlib: Eastern Yellow Jacket

That is one impressive beastie.

• Limpy and I visited The Lodge on Saturday - click on this gorgeous bird to see more photos:

• Great pictures, Clare - thank you for sharing them with us.

• I thought I'd posted earlier, but perhaps I didn't do it right, as I was rushing out - we've been to see sis-in-law with an armful of presents, and some spare light bulbs for her tree lights, which didn't work when she got them out this year. Unfortunately she discovered that none of the local shops now stock spare bulbs, as "there's no need for them, as the new led ones don't break." We had a whole boxful of various kinds we'd collected over the years. Her lights are now twinkling again!

She passed us some cards from friends and family : I'm now naming this our "White Christmas!! We have had a lot of cards now, but nearly every single one is either silver or white, or silvery white!! One red postbox one, and one black card with red and green parcels on it....otherwise, my display is very anaemic!

Going back to look at Clares pics now....

• Lovely pics, Clare.  And a pair of horses as a bonus!

You must visit us sometime, we have a nuthatch who pops in occasionally. :-)