Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 December 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. 

Poinsettias
U.S. Dept. of Agriculture photo
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Haven't been on the forum for years as mainly on FB now and no time for Chat! Just want to send my best wishes to Annette, the pictures look horrendous, so glad you have masks but not sure about spring cleaning your house!

Terry in Cumbria

• Nice to see you on here, Terry!

• I see that the weather is affecting most of us in the UK now.  A lot of complaints on the media about the lack of preparation on the roads and at airports - it's not as if we wern't warned by the met office!

We ventured out together to get some bread and milk -- My OH had to thaw out the car first as we didn't use it yesterday. Got enough food for several days, just in case: I don't want to risk breaking a leg just for milk! No more snow here, but the snow we did have is frozen solid and tonight is going to be really cold.

When we got back, my OH climbed a ladder and put the fairy lights along our gutters. Some of our neighbours have theirs up already.

• Rosy: All sorted - first task when I got to shed!!!!

• Well done!  - the cat will be pleased!!

• Still no snow - but o-so-cold - albeit sunny!

BBL

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Hope all my friends in the U.K. are coping well with the snow and cold. Everyone stay safe and sure-footed (no falls!).

• All OK here, DIANE! Bread in freezer, alternatives to fresh milk here, as always at this time of year, plus plenty food in fridge and freezer. No intention of going anywhere, yet !! I heard scraping noises outside, on Saturday. Looked outside, eldest son in law clearing paths and spreading salt. I had no idea that he was coming but of course, was very grateful. OH used to do that for our elderly neighbour Sheana, now,deceased but the new neighbour doesn't need help, has family. Hope all here are OK.

• Hi all:

Terry: So nice to see you - thanks for the good wishes.  Hope you're keeping well. Daylight is almost normal today, though somewhat filtered. Air quality still grim and streets look as if there's been a light snowfall, with ash settling in tiny drifts along the edges after cars have gone by.

Forestboar: There's a fleet of mothballed passenger planes out in Arizona that could probably be retrofitted!

Lindybird: I was going to throw some token Xmas lights up last weekend, but all the ash on the plants by the house has deterred me somewhat from creating a stir,  Tried one of our masks and they do have a sort of odd smell, in addition to getting into fights with my specs.   Sounds like perfect break-a-leg weather there.

Heather:  Alternatives to fresh milk?  That would be red or white wine, right?  :-)  What a stellar bunch of kids and spouses you have.  Love to read how well they're taking care of you.  Are you still spending more time downstairs?

Went to the gym this morning. It's open, but due to air quality all group exercise classes were canceled. Still, enough Tai Chi folks turned up plus one instructor who hadn't read her e-mails that we had a low-key class - it's not an exercise that has you gasping for breath at the best of times.

Home to find OH just finished vacuuming the living room!  Mark the calendar!  Now the problem is, how do I discreetly get the vacuum out again so I can do the furniture, especially where the cat brushes by and leaves fat wisps of hair hanging for all (or maybe not) to see...