Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 December 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH and HAPPY FULL SUPERMOON!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Sunday is the Full Moon, and it's a so-called Supermoon (the full moon near lunar perigee). 

Here's a Cooper's Hawk like Annette has in her garden. I thought of her when I saw this photo.

Cooper's Hawk
Seedskadee National Wildlife Refuge, Wyoming USA
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright-Free)

• Oh dear, Clare ... I'm so sorry, but that made me cringe.  I remember singing that carol - the traditional version - in Bethlehem on a blazing hot day ... it will be somewhere in the archives of 'Songs of Praise', and every time I hear it I'm transported straight back there.  I guess I just have to admit I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas music ... hey ho!  (Actually, I'm a traditionalist/classicist in most of my musical taste - but someone has to be!)

• Pat O said:
    I remember singing that carol - the traditional version - in Bethlehem on a blazing hot day

Wow - what a perfect location!  I remember singing it (well, trying to sing it!!) at my primary school.  I absolutely hated school so that probably explains why I like Cliff's version.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Wow Clare with you on the school thing..

Church school and always got told off for singing the wrong words..

Shepherds socks etc :-)))

• Unknown said:

Wow Clare with you on the school thing..

Church school and always got told off for singing the wrong words..

Shepherds socks etc :-)))

Ouch.  I think I would have hated a church school even more than the school I went to.

It didn't matter whether I sang the right words or not - I couldn't sing at all (and I still can't).

I did get a happy ending though - when I was at high school arsonists burnt my old school down.  I was staggered when I learned that they weren't ex-pupils.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• None of that white stuff for an Aussie C-mas. An Aussie north wind is hot, unless it is very hot! So here is an Aussie C-mas carol.

The north wind is tossing the leaves. / The red dust is over the town; / The sparrows are under the eaves, / And the grass in the paddock is brown; / As we lift up our voices and sing, / To the Christ-child the heavenly King.

The tree ferns in green gullies sway; / The cool stream flows silently by; / The joy bells are greeting the day, / And the chimes are adrift in the sky, / As we lift up our voices and sing, / To the Christ-child the heavenly King.

[Words by John Wheeler, Music by William G James]

• Another from Aussieland. Carol of the Birds.

Out on the plains the brolgas are dancing / Lifting their feet like warhorses prancing / Up to the sun the woodlarks go winging / Faint in the dawn light echoes their singing / Orana! Orana! Orana to Christmas Day.

Down where the tree ferns grow by the river / There where the waters sparkle and quiver \ Deep in the gullies bell-birds are chiming \ Softly and sweetly their lyric notes rhyming \ Orana! Orana! Orana to Christmas Day.

Friar birds sip the nectar of flowers / Currawongs chant in wattle tree bowers / In the blue ranges lorikeets calling / Carols of bush birds rising and falling / Orana! Orana! Orana to Christmas Day.

[Orana is an aboriginal word for dawn or welcome.]

• Lovely, Aquilareen.  I love the frequent references to wildlife in the songs.

• That is lovely AQ. The pictures are good too. Love the tree ferns.

• Clare grammar school was all girl .. geez I was ireally not meant to be there..

Contrary to belief I didn’t turn out too badly..

PS totally banned from singing ..

Know every word from Eucharist Even song and normal hyms .. just mime well !!

• Oh, AQ, the Carol of the Birds is beautiful! So lovely. So much better than the music on my radio right now.