Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 November 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I don't have a picture this week, but I thought I'd include these two links for anyone who wants to look at them. 

(1) This is aerial video photography of the autumn foliage at Turkey Run State Park, which is just down the road from my house. The water is Sugar Creek. The video is 2 1/2 minutes, but the nicest footage is shown at about 1 minute 45 seconds in the video.  

(2) This is aerial video photography of the autumn foliage at Shades State Park, which is only a few minutes from me. The Shades is very, very special to me because that's where my grandfather was a Park Forest Ranger. I spent a lot of time there when I was young, as did my Mom when she was little. The bridge is the Deer's Mill Covered Bridge, which was built in 1829 over Sugar Creek. The photographic drone even goes inside the bridge. Swallows and other birds nest in the rocky canyon cliffs. The video is 3 minutes. 

Here are some videos showing the outside and inside of some of the other bridges near my house. (No one is obligated to look at them.) Every year, over a million people come to my area in October to attend the Covered Bridge Festival. These videos were taken this month, right after the end of the festival.

Jackson Covered Bridge, built in 1861 during the Civil War. In the 1800s, at times of high water, people launched flat boats at this point on Sugar Creek to float goods over to the Wabash River, where they travelled to the Ohio River and then to the mighty Mississippi River and on to the markets in New Orleans. Video is 2 minutes.

West Union Covered Bridge, built in 1876. This bridge and its earlier versions were used by stage coaches on their way to Lafayette in NW Indiana during frontier times. The famous Wabash and Erie Canal was east of this bridge. Video is 2 minutes. 

Cox Ford Covered Bridge, on the west side of Turkey Run State Park over Sugar Creek. Video is 2 1/2 minutes.

The Narrows Covered Bridge , in Turkey Run State Park over Sugar Creek. It's one of the most photographed covered bridges in the nation. The local Native American tribes and settlers from several countries had various names for Sugar Creek, but they all knew the Sugar Creek valley for its maple trees, the source of maple sugar. Video is 2 minutes.

• I saw a message from ALDI on Facebook. It said they were closing at 4pm on Christmas Eve and would be handing out all the  left overs. They would not be opening again till the 27th. I was impressed as many stores will be open on Boxing Day and if the last few years are anything to go bye, our local coop will open in the afternoon on Christmas Day. Last year I told a member of staff how shocked I was at this.  They said that with triple time they would have no trouble getting people to work.

• Yes, DIBNLIB. It could be worse as you say. I worked most Christmas Days, too. Our meal could be in the afternoon, the evening or sometimes on Christmas Eve. C'est la vie!!

• dibnlib said:
    I saw a message from ALDI on Facebook. It said they were closing at 4pm on Christmas Eve and would be handing out all the  left overs. They would not be opening again till the 27th.

Thank goodness for someone civilised.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• The one thing I do love about the arrival of December is that I can start playing all of my favourite cheesy Christmas songs.  However did we celebrate before we had Slade?????

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Morning all:  Apoplectic about tax bill passed by the sycophants in DC. As they say, "the rich get rich and....."

Sad day in Arizona as daughter has just had to put down her lovely old German Shepherd, King, who she got as an ancient rescue dog from the humane society and who proceeded to more ancient over the last few years.  She's been having to help him get up and down the last month or so, including in the middle of the night, so she's worn out.  Such a lovely and gentle old dog......  :-(

Diane: Your Eastern jays are so much brighter and more colorful than our washed out versions!

Heather: I too am amazed at OG's powers or menu planning!  I've barely registered that it's Christmas!  We aren't sure what we're doing:  The plan was for us all to go to Arizona, but now grandson has to work the day after (no Boxing Day to New Year closures here!) and granddaughter has new job, is low on the totem pole in terms of days off and has been scheduled for both Xmas Eve and Xmas Day.   I see a family phone conference in the near future and suspect we'll decide to take the path of least resistance, whatever that turns out to be...       Hmm. Just read your menu; please set another chair at the table. I promise I'll help with dishes!

dibnlib: Only 28 lengths?  That puts you about 27 ahead of me.  :-)   Swimming has never been my thing although it's a fabulous exercise for heart and so kind to the joints.   I bet your friend has masses of tales to tell about her trip.  I have some Jewish friends who have no problem working Christmas. This year Hannukah will be over December 20.

Clare:  Who is Slade?  I'm a Hark! The Herald Angels person myself.   :-)))

Off to sort out the garden; have failed miserably sorting out the world.   Have got an election bumper sticker for my car that reads:  "Any Functioning Adult in 2020."

Take care all.

• Unknown said:
    Who is Slade?  I'm a Hark! The Herald Angels person myself.   :-)))

Blimey.  This is Slade:

Merry Christmas, Everybody

So sorry to read about your daughter's dog.  I'm glad King enjoyed his last years with someone worthwhile.

• Evening all,

Annette, love the bumper sticker.

Sorry about your daughter's dog. Always very sad to lose a pet, but, as Clare said, King obviously had a good last few years.

I am also a 'Hark! The Herald Angels' person and other traditional carols. Our local M&S play Christmas music, and if I hear ' I caught Mommy Kissing Santa Claus' once more, I shall run out screaming. Sorry, Clare, I think it is an age thing.

On a lighter note, We went to Kew Gardens last week, and saw the Rebecca Louise Shaw installation. I think someone has posted on here about her work before.

It was wonderful, consisting of 375,000 preserved flowers.suspended by fine copper wire.These were hanging from the ceiling, and there was a windy path through them. There was a huge variety of flowers, and things like ears of wheat and pine cones. The only flowers I thought that didn't work was one strand of roses. To me, they just looked like dead flowers, but that is only my opinion.

The installation was called 'Life after Death" and was inspired by ancient Egyptian preserved funeral garlands.

The overall effect was stunning, and even my OH, who doesn't know one end of a plant from the other, was impressed.

• I am also impressed with your organisation OG.

Also, Heather, who seems to cover all eventualities. Where do I go wrong?

Beautiful bird pic today, Lindy. Lucky Diane for seeing them in her garden.

Hello to Dibnlib and everyone else not mentioned.