Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 November 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Northern Cardinal
Elizabeth A. Morton National Wildlife Refuge, New York USA
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• An osprey nest near Port Lincoln was being monitored when the larger chick attacked the smaller one, kicking it out of the nest. Rescued & taken to Kangaroo Island.

• Thanks, AQ.  Good  Morning,  Everyone.  I hope that Annette is now home safe, and taking a well earned rest after her long journey.

A bit grey here this morning.

• Oh, and a very Happy  Anniversary to HM  The  Queen and Prince  Philip, married for an unbelievable 70 years!!!

• Computer was inaccessible most of the weekend, and when it was here, OH was sharing it, so I didn't get much time to use it.  I did try to post on Sunday, and lost it!  Anyway, all well here.  I made another batch of braised red cabbage to freeze, and we shall be testing it at dinner this evening.  Just a general day today - OH going to M&S Food and to Asda, then maybe finishing painting - but a bit dark with the weather change, so may need to leave final part to tomorrow. Unseasonably warm here in the night and so far this morning.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Unknown said:

Happy Birthday to Heather and Clare. Am envious of the visit to WWT Welney. When I lived in Surbiton I belonged to the the London WWT at Barnes - it was a great place smack in he middle of London. Looking forward to the photos.

Now going through them.......all 649 of them!  Limpy took an enthusiastic 1070.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Lindybird said:

Oh, and a very Happy  Anniversary to HM  The  Queen and Prince  Philip, married for an unbelievable 70 years!!!

I'd have lasted 5 minutes.  The Queen's diplomatic skills must be extraordinary.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Here we go - click on this lovely whooper swan to see more:

• Hello everyone, thank you for the birthday wishes.

We had a lovely meal on Saturday evening. I was instructed to put my feet up so didn't see what was going on in the kitchen. Anyway, we had assorted Chinese style nibbles (not home made, middle daughter had been shopping). Then three main courses, one was chicken with noodles (can't remember veggie ingredients) one was chicken, red peppers, and cashew nuts. the third was pork fillet with pak choi. All the meats had been marinated for a few hours before cooking, using assorted ingredients which included show shing rice wine ( can't spell it), yellow bean sauce, soy sauce, ginger, honey, garlic, brown sugar and a few other things that I can't remember. Obviously not all the meat was marinaded in the same things. For instance, the pork was sliced thinly and the marinade/sauce was dark and very flavoursome. The chicken dishes were milder but very tasty. All served with egg fried rice which had peas through it. Chopsticks were provided but only a few of us managed to use them to any effect. One was the youngest, Isla, who was even eating grapes with them (!) We all had fortune cookies which caused a few laughs when the messages were read out. Puddings were - apple tart, chocolate melting middle thingies, some small meringue things and ice cream. Believe it or not, some of us also had cheese and biscuits plus grapes etc at the end.

• CLARE - lovely set of photos again!

HEATHER - sounds like a good time was had by all!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!