Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey) 5 November 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. 

Black-Billed Magpie

Seedskadee National Wildlife Refuge, Wyoming USA
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• There are some much lighter and stronger loppers out there now, Heather. We have some which will extend their length by turning the handles, too and we've found them endlessly useful.

Enjoy your time out with the family.

I went to the supermarket as usual, and as I got near to the tills, it came to 11.00 am and they put the radio on over the loudspeakers - at first, I wondered what on earth was going on, but then I realised that it was so that they could be precise about the time, and also could broadcast the sound of the Last Post as it was played. The whole shop came to a standstill, and we stood silent for the two minutes, then the local British Legion raised up their flag again and one man said "At the going down of the sun....  we will remember them,  etc." It was all so moving, and I was standing there thinking of my dear Uncle who came back from the 2nd World War a changed man who also suffered from ill health for the rest of his life (he was about 22, then).  I found my eyes filled with tears and I hoped that no one noticed!

• Been cleaning out cupboards and finding that I've kept too many things for too long..... ("No surprise there, then" my OH would say!) I'm starting up yet another bag for the charity shop, while our dinner cooks.

He's put a roast on for tonight, and we're just going to relax and watch TV.  He's been very busy today himself and I worry sometimes that he doesn't let himself stop all day, hardly.  He will be 74 next March.

• Continuing on my Saga.....

We left the Monument, after having a long stay there and plenty of time to take it all in. We were so lucky with the weather that day, sunny but just pleasant without being too hot.  No coats needed.

As we left, I allowed myself one look back at the gorgeous marbled pavement underfoot. Our coach was waiting and we were urged to jump on, as there was a queue of other coaches already in line behind it, to drop off yet more people to see the sights.

We headed for the city centre as the last part of our day, and on the way there found ourselves going past the Monastery once again.  I was sitting in the window, and tugged at my OHs sleeve:  "Look!"  I said:

There was a big fountain there, which we had not even noticed when we were walking around. It was because it kept disappearing and then reappearing.

We were stopped in traffic, which gave me the opportunity to try and catch it as it waxed and waned.

If you look under the trees on the right of this picture, you can make out the queue of about 200 people now waiting to go into the two buildings.

Our guide was very good:  she was local and knew a lot about her city.  This is an art installation, made as you can see from very colourful tiles. I suppose this meant that it never changed in the hot sun of summer, as they are fired and so never fade.

I did notice though, that the drainholes at the base of this underpass needed a good clean!

• Computer time limited by decorating (him) and trying to take on more domestic chores (me).  Have been reading - will have to catch up some time later - hope not too long!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Hey, Heather. In the spring, I'm going to need some new loppers. I allowed mine to rust. I'm not very sorry, because they were the old-fashioned kind that are incredibly heavy and difficult to use, and I have rheumatoid arthritis in my fingers.

I have pokeweed (poke salad or poke sallet) and some stinging nettle crowding my driveway lane, and it's going to be hard, hard work to clear it all off. I had other priorities this fall, so I'm delaying it until spring after it has died back. If you find some really light, easy-to-use loppers let me know the brand name.

I was glad to read that you're taking steps to make your life more comfortable for you. Best to you and everyone! I'll be back later to start the new thread. Hope Annette has a safe journey and a great trip. 

• Lovely pics again Lindy. I see what you mean about the drain holes at the base of those tiles. It makes you feel as if you need to get busy with the scrubbing brush!

I am about to cook a seafood pulau. For once I am organised, and have chopped up everything beforehand.

Diane, I must google pokeweed. I remember reading something about it recently. I don't think it was very flattering.

• DIANE - the loppers that I have been looking at online were Spear and Jackson. I think that they were aluminium which of course will be lighter. I will look again, later. Our day went a bit pear shaped, little Isla had developed a really bad ear ache when they arrived, so hot water bottles and meds. Then middle daughter and Callum arrived, no electricity in their house, road outside being dug up! They have just returned home - workmen still at it, no power in the house. Update - just had a phone call, power back on!

• Hope all is well with Isla .. toothache and earache always seemed to flare up at weekends with my girls.

Cold and damp and it was Daisy’s swimming day “ hydrotherapy treadmill “ which she so loves. Driving home around 4pm the sun was low and enormous .

White on my local Ben ...grit lorry driving up and down ..

• Heather: Thanks for the loppers name! Aluminum would be much better, but I don't know whether it would be tough enough for the old-style weeds that I have. LOL! Sorry about Isla's earache and the electricity failure. 

Rosy: Here's a good photo of pokeweed. Scroll down to see the whole plant. It's actually a beautiful plant with gorgeous blue-purple berries, red stems, and tropical-looking long leaves. The entire plant is extremely toxic to mammals and can even be lethal for humans. People who practice the old ways make salad out of the young shoots (that's why it's often called poke salad, poke salat, or poke sallet). They boil the young greens and change the water several times to limit the toxicity, but I don't recommend it! They swear by the health benefits, but I wouldn't want to risk it. 

My Scottish great-great grandmother and my great-grandmother used to make "Spring Tonic" as soon as vegetation began to appear in the spring, because people would be malnourished after the cold winter here with no fresh produce. They added poke to the other plants in the tonic, but I'd be afraid of poisoning myself. LOL In fact, I'll wear my leather gloves when I take out the plants. Pokeweed is relentlessly aggressive, and you really have to be dedicated to fighting it. It has a thick, stubborn taproot that looks like a radish. Some of the birds do eat the beautiful purple berries, apparently with no ill effects. That's another reason I decided to wait until spring to eradicate mine. 

• The poke weed does indeed look beautiful, DIANE but yes, lethal, it seems.

I have another kind of loppers/pruners here, long handled and you operate the pruning bit by pulling on the cord. I'm so sorry but I don't know the correct name for them.