WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey), 8 October 2017

Welcome to a new week from a sunny spring afternoon in Adelaide.

• Our guide was local and very knowledgeable:  a young man, eager to give us as much information as possible.  However, he did go on a bit..  I nearly had a headache by the time we finished!

We had climbed and climbed:  this was the spectacular view from the high point.

You can see the ribbons of modern roads which have been put in in recent years, to help with getting around this very mountainous island.

Back on the coach to the next stop.

This viewpoint gave a good idea of the dramatic coastline.

• This was a specially built viewpoint, a lot of people from all nations were here, milling around.

You could stand on the grid floor and look down at the cliffs below you!!  Ugh!

Next to it, there was a glass floored section which I could not bring myself to stand on!

But they were great views.

• As we returned to look at the cafe and shops nearby, we saw people looking at a wall.

Lots of little geckos!!  All colours, and not frightened of us - they must have been used to being fed by the tourists.

Some of them were bullying the others.

• LINDY  Wonderful pics, thank you. I love the Geckos.   Swam this morning then went to Starbucks for coffee with a friend. Another friend came to the next table and I was shocked and saddened to find she had been in a car accident about 3 weeks ago. She and her husband were injured and her Dad died the next day.  She told me the other car was being driven by a Spanish tourist and was on the wrong side of the road. They were on the A832 which is a narrow twisty road and there are plenty of those up here.

• Lindybird said:

Oh dear, they're just showing the extent of the wildfires in California. Keep safe, Annette.

Lindy: Your photos of your holiday are beautiful. Such colourful, lovely locations!
    I just checked a California fire map. I don't think that Annette is threatened by any of the fires right now. Most of the big fires are in the northern half of the state. They are creating a ghastly disaster. So tragic for the people.  
    Annette: I hope you're feeling better today. Wishing you a rapid recovery. 
  • Thanks, Diane. It was lovely weather for most our trip, which helped.

Glad that Annette is alright, but was shocked to see the damage and extent of the fires on our BBC News today.

• What a sad tale about the accident, Dibnlib. They could all have been killed.

• Such lovely pics, LINDY. Thank you.

Just heard that the fruit trees are to be felled tomorrow. Very mixed feelings... but it is for the best.

• Heather: From reading of your recent posts, I realized that those fruit trees must be bigger than I first envisioned. I'm 60 years old now, and I couldn't cope with the fruit harvest and the pruning for all those trees. I honestly don't think you have much choice about felling some of them, unless you could lay out vast sums of money to pay others to do the constant work. 

I'm sure you will have poignant feelings tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you. Stay strong. 

• DIANE- thank you so much. What you say is exactly as it is and would be.