DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Saturday, 15 July 2017

Yesterday was a day of mixed fortunes for EJ.

Downside - CT6 and her partner are treating the nest as their own and successfully defending it (CT6 having last done so late last evening).

Upside - EJ appears to have accepted a spotty-necklaced male (who may have been an occasional visitor for the past couple of months), even allowing him to join her in the Love Tree.

I'm only calling him Spotty as a temporary, distinctive ID - if there are objections to that, maybe we could call him SU, to match up with MU, PU, etc, tho Spotty seems fonder, in view of his apparent 'rescue' of EJ and prospective status ;-)  (Has he brought her a fish yet, tho?!)

I've spent the past couple of hours wading thru unringed males trying to make sense of them and my head is in a spin.  The varying picture angles, blurring on movement, and resolutions (often very low) make it impossible to differentiate a lot of the time.

One thing is certain - whatever plays out here for the rest of this season, the future of this nest won't be decided until next season, when who knows who may... or may not... turn up!

IMAGICAT

• Morning all you wonderful regulars and you know who you are lol I want to say a huge thank you for ur wonderful blogs. I don't contribute often but a read them frequently through my hectic working day !! You keep me updated on our wonderful EJ. But can I ask 2 things cos I am a novice!! Firstly when will EJ mate again ?? Is it before she flies off??and secondly will she then return to her nest next year with the mating partner and lay her eggs hopefully on the same nest OR does all this happen next year??

A.S.Boardman

• Morning Andrea B Nothing will happen regards to mating this season as now it is too late it won't be that long before EJ leaves.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Next season is a different, matter the one thing  I can say EJ is usually an early returning Osprey, as for returning next season will all pray for that to happen.

EJ Is a very old and wise Osprey, and loved to bits by us all.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

• Good morning all.

Andrea. The hope is that EJ will find a partner before she/they leave. IF a bond is established and they both successfully return next year then hopefully they would take over this nest again. There will be no eggs laid this year as it is much too late. The added factor here is that another pair are seemingly laying claim to this nest so in the event THEY return there could well be a battle for the nest. I'm afraid it is all in the lap of the gods and full of if's and but's. All we can do is watch and wait.

• Morning Mike

Magnus Ullman

• Ooo Thank you all for ur replies I guess I will have to wait til next year again?? I saw EJ at LG this year when the third chick had hatched and it spoilt my holiday as I was so sad at seeing her with no ODIN and I have been hooked since then - you all keep me so entertained and I love ur knowledge I'm looking fwd to next year when hubby has promised to take me back - but what will we all do til then lol

A.S.Boardman

• Osprey chirp x 2.

IMAGICAT

• Good morning, PATILY, MIKE, ANDREA :)

MaryGK said:
    Limpy if it's the same osprey as was on the nest with CT6 yesterday morning, from the side cam images then  I would say it is not PU.

I agree that it's not PU, who would be P-er than this one.  I don't think we've seen him for a while - but MOFFER and BIRDIE will probably remember better.

IMAGICAT

• Hi Limpy.

Andrea you'll suffer Ospreyitis withdrawal symptoms! No known cure! The addiction will return next year though. LoL

• Mike I'm sure I will lol il have to take up knitting lol

A.S.Boardman