WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, JUNE 11, 2017

Happy New Week all.  Check back for the last of last week's posts.

• Make sure it comes this way, too. It's been frustrating today as it's been dry but the clouds keep meeting each other and joining up, so it's not been warm even in the sunshine.

Hope you can improve the lawn, Heather: ours is patchy because apart from Bonnie weeing on it, she digs holes in it!! Long ago gave up on having anything presentable.

My OH did well in his golf competition, and came 2nd. He's now in a good mood so I shall have chance to ask him about getting a new dining room carpet, long overdue!

• Morning all: Wild windy night here - alarming at some point. I was in bed waiting for the Chinese Elm to drop a branch on the house!

Heather: Ah, the things parents get "blamed" for!  :-)  I always wonder how many of things we do as parents to deliberately try to influence our kids for the better get overwhelmed by all the things we do unconsciously that they end up following.  Sounds like OG knows a thing or three about scarifying lawns. We don't use that term here at all - for me it always conjures up the image of someone rushing out the back door and shouting Boo!! at the grass.  :-)

Lindybird: Good luck with the plan for a new dining room carpet. I've found I can get my OH around to my way of thinking by just muttering about whatever it is, as in "Oh Lord, the dining room carpet looks really bad - oh well...." on a number of occasions then go bustling off to the kitchen or somewhere and letting the idea simmer until he eventually comes up with "Well, maybe it's time to replace it."  At which point I say, "Well maybe that's an idea.."  :-))  I lived by myself in my own house for so long I had a really hard time "sharing" decisions after we married and moved in together.

• Diane - Wow!  That is very hot - don't send too much my way - I don't like very hot weather.

LINDA - pleased he did well and you have an opportunity to mention the possibility of the replacement carpet!  Our grass isn't in good condition this year - although OH did scarify and aerate it, he never got around to the "weed and feed" treatment, so we have a lovely crop of creeping buttercup.

ANNETTE - pleased the tree didn't fall!  The "a" in scarify is as in "hat" - not as in "scare"!  I like your technique for letting OH think that projects such as new carpets are his idea!

The evening is becoming darker earlier today - I think we have some rain clouds gathering - don't know if we are expecting any actual precipitation overnight.  I think OH is planning to refurbish the "woodland" patch under the Birch tomorrow - the continuation against the new fence.  We have the ferns waiting to go back in and some new logs for the deadwood pile - the old bole is still sitting there crumbling, so we hope it will accelerate the new stuff.

Sun is showing again in the west, making the dark clouds in the east look even more threatening!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Tomorrow morn I’m meeting a friend for coffee. It has been far far too long since we caught up. Afternoon I shall do nanny duty instead of OH. Dau has 2 more weeks of parenting course and OH is almost useless when Dau is packing up running around like a headless chook. At least I notice Little People need jackets, shoes & socks.

Posting on flickr more of my Victorian pics today & next few days. On my wanderings I discovered began as a movie theatre, which became bra factory (!) in WWII and is now the RSL clubrooms. If those walls could talk!

• AQ: What?  A building(?) that started as a movie theatre then became a bra factory (or something like that) in WWII.  I never realized there was a shortage of bras during WWII!  What is RSL?

OG: Thanks for clarifying scarifying.  More wind tonight for us.

• Annette – RSL = Returned Soldiers League, or in these pc times Returned Services . . .

We saw on news the California landslide and bridge collapse. Further north than you I think.

Reprieve! S-i-l has day off work tomorrow and I’m not needed for nanny duty. I probably was needed today as Dau had three under foot. It is a “pupil-free” day for teachers at Miss5’s school to train in something or other. Curious how these pupil-free days are always attached to a long weekend. Oh yes, suddenly everyone was a royalist yesterday for HM’s birthday.

• Good Morning.  A bit grey here again, but a bit warmer, too.  You'll notice that I increasingly mention the temperature, as I'm someone who feels the cold!! We had an online statement recently from our energy supplier, and the total we spend annually on gas & electricity is shocking. Mind you, I find the price of everything nowadays shocking!!

AQ:  We have the same, here. Why they can't have teacher training days during the endless school holidays, I don't know. These days it's increasingly hard for working parents to manage to find care for their children at these times. BTW, Prince Philip was 96 the other day, and seems as busy as ever, even though he's officially doing less public appearances.

• Here's today's pic:

"What do you mean, a basket full of trouble?"

• Linda - I have to be careful to whom I grumble about teachers’ apparent free time, with Dau#1 teaching and Miss21 finishing her teacher training in a few weeks. I love the basket of trouble!

• AQ - not sure whether you should be pleased to have "preferred Nanny" status on meeting nights - maybe you perform too well for your own good!

LINDA - overnight rain never arrived - then a short shower during breakfast.  Sun has come through now - didn't notice until a man walked past and it was reflecting off his bald pate!  Teacher training days here do mostly attach to school holidays; most recent were prep for transition of kids moving up a year or coming in new, so were partway through term, but next two are the start of Autumn term.

OH is busy with indoor chores but still hoping to continue outside later.  I should really get motivated and get on with some letter-writing, maybe after coffee ...

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!