WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, JUNE 11, 2017

Happy New Week all.  Check back for the last of last week's posts.

• Glad that all went well, Heather. I'm sure that a few tears are to be expected.  How is the garden looking?  Do you have a large front garden or is it easy to maintain?

• OG:  Good to hear that you're feeling stronger every day. (at least, that's what I gather...).  Are you going to be able to do a little of the cooking now that you're upright in the kitchen, or is it still too difficult?  I should imagine its quite frustrating.

• LINDY - We only have a small front garden and while the roses and shrubs are OK, the grass is in a poor state. It badly needs scarifying to get rid of moss but I didn't do it in the Spring, so should now perhaps wait until Autumn. There are large yellow patches :-(

• LINDA - I can only stand for a limited amount of time, so am helping when I can instead of just "advising" (directing).

HEATHER - I would say you can scarify at any time when the grass is growing.  Best is spring to remove the winter "thatch", but in summer you could still do it - don't try it when too wet (pulls grass roots out) or too dry(when grass is already under stress.  

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Thanks, OG. The ground is pretty damp just now. I've been weeding this afternoon plus had to chop away at the grapevine in the greenhouse. Goodness knows what I've done but it was growing at what seemed to be a mile a minute! I bought a new book last week, RHS 'Pruning and Training'. My new bedtime reading! I didn't consult before hacking at the vine, though.....

• My RHS "Pruning & Training" is on the bookshelf ......  I leafed through it (excuse the pun) when I bought it, but it's not been consulted since. Mostly I just prune when I have the secatuers in my hand, as of five minutes ago!  I filled a large bucket with various things, admittedly most of them easy to prune and obviously going to recover and grow lustily again, pretty soon!

• OH has spent afternoon behind the shed!  He was laying some reclaimed  slabs to improve the space between shed and new fence for storing things.  I went out to walk round the back garden and tried sitting in the sun, which promptly disappeared so I was getting cold sitting still and came back in - but nice to have had a bit of exercise and fresh air. Still breezy, but thankfully dry.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Our weather forecast says rain every day but I think it will be what they call scattered showers. Still, if Summer returns, I will be very happy.

My son was interviewed today - BBC Radio Shropshire. I had to laugh when the interviewer asked him why he joined the RAF back in the eighties. Apparently it was all my fault for introducing him to the Biggles books!
  • OG and Heather: It's 33.3 C (92F) here today. I will send you some heat and sunshine.

• Oh, please do, DIANE.

You sound as if you can manage to part with some of it.