Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 May 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

Yellow Warbler, Trustom Pond National Wildlife Refuge, Rhode Island USA
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo Labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• I hope that somehow the situation can improve at the LG nest.

• Thank you Diane!  I also hope there's some positive development at LG.

• Good morning. Thank you DIANE!

One is going outside to start some gardening work. It is a pleasant morning here but may have rain this afternoon.

• Good Morning, and thank you to Diane for the cheerful pic and for starting us off again. How pretty!

Hope the weather allows you to get on with the gardening, Heather.

We've had a lot of gusty wind here, but it's fine and dry, and we're off out for a walk then hoping to get some reading done this afternoon. I've got a lot of paperback books here, and have had a sort out as I can see there are some I'll never read, or read again. There is never enough time! Of course, my OH says that I spend too much time glued to my tablet.  But then, he was quick to say first thing this morning "How is EJ?".....

Fingers crossed that although it looks as if we might lose the chicks, EJ will be alright and Odin will turn up unharmed.

• Good morning/afternoon - has been showery here so I am out the way in the study so OH can clean the lounge.  He stayed home from church as fence man was expected to complete the side fence, with the gate; he has just arrived.

Confused about LG - there is a post with photo on FB from one of our former forum followers suggesting Odin was on the edge of the nest earlier this morning - the bird shown is really hungry-looking with a concave crop.  But no other confirmation of ID.  I see the latest sad but decisive blog has reached the online news headlines today.

DIANE - thanks for our new week and the cheerful Warbler.

HEATHER - I hope the weather has allowed some gardening time - but not too much!  Enjoy the lamb dinner - we are also having lamb this evening.  Our butcher is getting a goat this week - can't make up my mind whether to order a part of it - apparently two legs already booked.

LINDA - I finished the third book of the trilogy last week, full of admiration for Robert Owen, then researched his later life and the future of the Harmonie experiment on line, and have decided I don't like him at all!  I think I have become an even deeper cynic, wondering whether all idealist philanthropy is doomed to failure, being so incompatible with human nature!  Now reading part 2 of  Stephen Fry's autobiography, which is of course equally depressing!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Had a bracing walk on a large beach:  Bonnie enjoyed herself!

OG - I think you were discussing Robert Owen with Annette. I read Stephen Fry and find a lot of his stuff depressing - I think I read some of his autobiography once, and it's sad.

People keep claiming that Odin has returned, but I think that some of the unringed young males keep turning up to pester EJ. Also, there is one which she doesn't seem to chase off - I wonder if it's a former chick of hers.

• One forgot to post a pic this morning, then another failed to post. Here's today's

• Unknown said:

I finished the third book of the trilogy last week, full of admiration for Robert Owen, then researched his later life and the future of the Harmonie experiment on line, and have decided I don't like him at all!  I think I have become an even deeper cynic, wondering whether all idealist philanthropy is doomed to failure, being so incompatible with human nature!  Now reading part 2 of  Stephen Fry's autobiography, which is of course equally depressing!

Hey, OG. I'd be interested to know why you reversed your opinion about Robert Owen. I'm not baiting you for an argument; I honestly don't have strong feelings about New Harmony (which is what most folks in Indiana call it now). The state park there still goes by the Harmonie spelling. I visited the site a very long time ago.
    I remember that I loved the wonderful symmetry of the settlement, although I think that was the work of the earlier Rappites more than Owen and his followers. I'm someone who really loves and needs architecture, furnishings, and everything else to be symmetrical. LOL Asymmetry bugs the daylights out of me. LOL
    You might like to see the New Harmony website. Click Play & Explore to see the gardens, architecture, history, etc. (The links don't appear to work under Experience.) I was just curious about why you changed your mind.

• DIANE - after Owen's earlier antipathy to any religion/faith system/belief in a higher being or creator, I found it so strange that he espoused a belief later in life - especially the one he chose.  I had also found it hard that he went to buy New Harmonie from the Rappites and seemed to lose interest in all such townships here and there in so few years.  Where his predecessor and Father-in-Law David Dale had made New Lanark and other enterprises his life work, it seemed Owen was only an idealist in one phase of his young middle-age years.  During the early New Lanark years, he was also very convinced that he was right and everyone else wrong, but then he seemed to succumb to the attraction of the new ideas of others.  Father Rapp (I think he was known that way) was happy to sell to Owen so he could move his community back to Economy in Pennsylvania, but he must have been so disappointed when it was sold on again after just two years.  You are right that the physical settlement was designed by the Rappites, rather than Owen.  I am sure I have written the above thoughts totally out of any logical sequence, so I hope it makes some sense.  Thanks for the web link!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!