Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 May 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

So nice to have OG back on the thread!

I hope this is an easier week globally. Everyone have a peaceful, safe week!

Tri-Colored Heron, Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge, Florida USA
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service photo
Labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Heather: Yes but the joinery work would need doing anyway, and you know what they say about a stitch in time....  

Windy here - yet again! - today, so second whale shift of the week will likely be canceled.

Off to sort out the world - or at least the garden.

• Our dinner is in the oven, so I've grabbed 10 minutes to finish off my holiday pics.  

We saw very few birds, apart from my sighting of the Bird of Prey in the valley (soo exciting!) as there are so few trees on the island, the only birds there are ones who nest on the ground or in shrubby vegetation, or on cliffs.  There are some herons, beautifully white and elegant, and of course some seabirds.

On our last full day, I sat upon the local beach and as it came to late afternoon, I rolled over on the sand from reading my Kindle, and saw someone coming towards me....

Nearer......

and nearer!  - now I could see clearly who it was.  Not bothered by me at all, seemingly, and probably looking for possible scraps of food, as a lot of people picnic on the sand.

Then he/she paraded in front of me.

I kept on snapping pics...  these are just a few of the ones I took.

A handsome bird!

This is the beach and view from where I was sitting:  so peaceful, especially when other visitors have gone home.

So endeth this set of pictures.   The water you can see is a little bay which fills up during high tide, and is pleasant to bathe in as it gets warm. Not very deep some of the time, though!

• It's been a busy day but sitting with a small sherry now and ready for my bed soon.

Saw sis in law yesterday and she has been busy with redecorating after having a lot of dogs on the premises - she is increasingly popular with friends and neighbours who don't want to put their dogs in kennels. 

Very bored already with the repeated mention of the Election. In the end, I find I stop listening!

Goodnight.

• Heather – Wool shops in Adelaide are “few and far between”, tucked away in suburbs. The chain stores only sell acrylic and with a father who farmed sheep for wool, I prefer the natural yarn. Hence I send interstate for my wool, to Bendigo, where they produce 200 gram balls. Less joins but more leftover (used for other projects). Some of our bus tour people visited the woollen mill in Bendigo – I said I had half the showroom already in my cupboard LOL.

OH came home from nanny duty very tired, nearly fell asleep over his tea. I don’t think he allows for MissL waking from her nap cranky, Miss5 tired after a long day at school and the usual 5 pm misbehaviour, then he has the ¾ hour drive home in rush hour traffic. If I offered to go every week, he would rarely see the Little People. The sun is shining. I am about to suggest we are both well enough to go out for my birthday dinner this eve.

• AQ: Hope the birthday dinner came off and was totally yummy!  Three kiddies is a LOT of kiddies to cope with. I'm not sure I'd be able - or willing - to do it.  Your daughter is very lucky!!

Pretty tired myself, so off to bed.

• Good Morning.  Sunny here again. Now the rain has watered everything, we're hoping for a bit less of it this weekend. Saw a pic of the valley at Glaslyn yesterday, on Facebook. It was completely full of water - good job the Visitor Centre is on stilts,  it's built on a flood plain so is prepared.

Here's today's pic:

"But I'm still hungry!"

• Hope that you got to get your birthday dinner, AQ!

• Good morning -

Thank you LINDY for the pics and also today's picture.

AQ - Interesting about you buying from the mill because when I was still knitting, that is exactly what I did towards the end. Hope that you got to go out for dinner and that you enjoyed it.

Another lovely start to the day here but the garden soil is very dry. The 'boys' are hoping to finish the joinery job today.

The solicitor didn't phone yesterday. I expect that he will be poring over paperwork since my phone message will have been seen as a wake up call. Well, I can only hope!

ANNETTE/DIANE - I hear that the stock markets in US are reacting badly to all the things going on in DC etc. The impeachment word is being mentioned more frequently.

Have a good day everyone. I will have to go to supermarket for some fresh food and maybe even a bottle of wine....

• Didn’t post yesterday – got busy (subject to limitations!) – but all well here.  Had a visit from occupational therapist in the afternoon – a few helpful suggestions.  Fence is almost finished – haven’t noticed whether man is here yet today – he was building the new gate at home and is due to bring it.  Weather continues fine, so today OH will be mowing in preference to cleaning!  J is recovered and back at work.

AQ – the New Lanark Trilogy is/are by C A Hope and are available from Amazon – you don’t have to mind some of the dialogue being in Scots (there is a glossary) and a few words of Gaelic thrown in!  The titles are: New Lanark – Spinning New Lives; New Lanark – Living with a Visionary; and New Lanark – In Search of Utopia.  The first covers the foundation of the New Lanark Mills under David Dale, the second is the beginning of Robert Owen’s time there, the third follows Robert Owen trying to spread his philosophy in Britain and Europe and then buying the mills and township of Harmonie, Indiana.  They follow the fictional stories of mill workers (one family in particular) as well as the true Dale and Owen families and various philanthropists and politicians of their time and acquaintance.

Annette – how wonderful that you can help your Grandson to visit the old country!  Lots of cross-pond travel this year, with your visit to your sister and then your niece visiting the US – hope you all manage to be in one place at the same time!  I hope the current quakes stay small and don’t do any damage!

Linda – I see you are off on your travels again!  Is this to your holiday home in Wales?  Glaslyn Centre was flooded this week, but I think it is all cleared up now – Centre has definitely reopened.  Great news from Loch Garten – two hatched now! 

Heather – you are correct – next appointment 29th, after which I hope to be fully weight bearing and learn to walk “properly”!  I hope all the finances soon get settled so you won’t have to worry about future maintenance on the house.  I hope you didn’t do too much in the garden yesterday!

Seem to have sat here a long time, so ought to move – just for a change of position – and hopefully some coffee!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

•  OG   Bet the 29th can't come soon enough for you.

We are off out for coffee with a friend in 40mins. We haven't seen her for a while and not since her 3 week holiday in NZ. Hope she has some photos to show us.

In the meantime here is a pic of Benson chilling out after a walk.