Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 7 May 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

Wednesday is the Full Moon.

I'm so happy to see OG back on the thread. Welcome back, OG!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Rob Roy Covered Bridge, over Big Shawnee Creek in Indiana
Photo Labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

I chose this photo for the week, even though it's not wildlife, because Lindy told me that she likes covered bridges and I thought the Scots on this forum might like it. This bridge is not far from where I live and is named for Robert "Rob" Roy MacGregor, the famous Scotsman. Many of the people in my area have Scottish family/ancestors, including me. The bridge was built in 1860 and is 105 feet long. The local small town, also called Rob Roy, was platted in 1826. Many bird species thrive in this very rural area, including birds of prey (bald eagles and many species of hawks and owls). There are also wild turkeys.

• I love covered bridges too Diane - and this one is so interesting in that it reflects just one of all those nationalities that make up the U.S.   Thank you again for starting us off and for reminding us of the full moon.

Lindybird: Opposites attract; my OH is a keeper and I'm a minimalist.

Had a very quiet but productive day; didn't step outside except to make sure garden hadn't blown away. Sorted out clothes for the Goodwill folks, then shredded a bunch of old paperwork before going through a lot of classical music CDs, transferring my favorite tracks to the computer before sending them to my iPhone. Not sure I've got enough space!  Will donate the CDs to our local library to add to their collection or sell for $$$s..  

Just had simple dinner and about to grab a bunch of files and start sorting stuff for yet more shredding...accompanied by decaf and chocolate of course!

Hope the week is kind to all.  I was just thinking of Margo and Brenda. Sure miss them...

• Unknown said:

I love covered bridges too Diane - and this one is so interesting in that it reflects just one of all those nationalities that make up the U.S.   Thank you again for starting us off and for reminding us of the full moon.

Annette: We had 10 days of hard rain that finally ended this morning, so there's a lot of flooding in my area. Big Raccoon creek (pronounced "crick" here) flooded and threatened the Bridgeton Covered Bridge on the site of the historic old Bridgeton grain mill. Everyone in the area was worried that we would lose that beautiful old bridge. Here's a video. Also, here are some photos of a very flooded Raccoon Lake near me. Use the arrows to click through. I hope you're well, A.

• Thanks to everyone who said they liked my blathering about the hawks last week. They've been sitting in the rain, and they aren't very happy right now.

Harelady: Thanks for your kind comments about my hawk story. I loved your post about the robin on your garden table. I'm sure if you're patient it will eventually eat from your hand. The UK robins are such lovely birds. It was nice to see you.

Heather: I enjoyed your story about the retirement bash at your friends' place. That's good for you to get out, see people, and do new things. I would have found the kissing to be a little uncomfortable. I need lots of personal space, and I'm not much of a hugger/kisser. My best friend of 20 years isn't, either. Whenever we've been visiting and it's time to go home, she always says, "I guess we should hug." Then she reluctantly gives me a perfunctory hug, which I return equally reluctantly. LOL I know times are still rough for you, Heather, and I try to send you strength often. I'm glad you're enjoying your trip.

AQ: I've enjoyed your stories about the children. I also loved the reports of your holiday/vacation. You live in a fascinating country. I suspect your Prime Minister was glad to return to it after his trip here. :-)

Clare: Thanks for your lovely comments about me and the hawks. I'm glad your computer is repaired. Say hi to Limpy. I hope he's feeling better.

Lindy: I enjoyed all of your holiday pictures. The ground squirrel does look like our chipmunks, with longer and more powerful legs.

DjoanS: So nice to see you! Hope you're coping okay.

Lynette: I'm sorry about your difficulties with the house. I hope you get a good outcome soon.

Nature Lover: Nice to see you!

Annette: Sorry about your May Gray. I wasn't sure the sun was still out there until it finally shined this afternoon. When you're finished with your paperwork, please come here and do mine. Oh, and mow the yard. I've been busy working and my yard is tall.

Hello to everyone I missed. Take care, all.

• Good morning, all. Thank you DIANE for starting the week. I've just been reading about Rob Roy, the township. Amazing that in the mid 19th century it had three physicians. I'm assuming that these had to support people who lived out of town as well as the residents. Thank you so much for sending me good thoughts. I'm getting a little impatient with myself, still very weepy at times but finding that keeping busy helps. The main problem I'm experiencing is horrible flashbacks. I 'see' some of the most distressing episodes and feel as if they are happening right now. Some folk have reminded me that my OH's illness was mercifully short and that is absolutely true. On the other hand, his death was unexpected so a big shock which also brings its own reaction. Anyway, things can only get better!

The visit to Denmark was good and another step along the way. Our friends do a lot of walking wherever they go and realised how slowed up I've become. I hadn't noticed that so it was good to have it pointed out. The husband also commented that I was sighing from time to time and said I sounded like an old lady! The Danish people are known for their pragmatism and direct way of speaking. Sometimes, being British and unused to that, I have been taken aback. On this occasion, I was grateful. My family have probably been too gentle with me!

Regarding hoarding - I don't keep anything unnecessary but my OH was reluctant to dispose of things. There was a bottle of fountain pen ink in his office drawer. It had been there for so long that the ink had dried up...

It is my middle daughter's 40th birthday today. Lunch for twelve, here. Eldest daughter will arrive at 11am to help with preparations. A buffet lunch has been requested. I was hoping that middle daughter would ask for a good old Sunday roast. No such luck!

Thanks to all for your news etc. I haven't said, on here, how happy I am, OG, that you are Home At Last. EE will be glad to have you back at the helm.

Regards to all

• Good Morning. Back with comments later.

Here is today's pic:

• LINDY    They look like children teddy bears.

• Good morning. Cloudy sky here, but not expecting any “weather”.  Gave myself and OH a fright this morning by falling over.  My own silly fault – stood for a wash and should then have regained strength by sitting down in wetroom but struggled to reach bed and missed.  No damage done!

Diane – thanks for new week, and reminder of full moon.  I too am a fan of covered bridges; did the one survive which was threatened by floods last week?

Annette – a very productive day you spent Saturday – all the things I am itching to get started on here!  I too have been remembering absent friends on here – so much missed.  Sorry about the May Grey and probable June Gloom, but as you say more comfortable for gardening than direct burning sun.

Heather – good to read your posts about your visit.   I am sure all your various reactions to widowhood are to be expected, and I would say that both  kinds of friends, gentle family and pragmatic Danes are equally valuable.  Enjoy having the family gathered together today.

Going to post this part before I lose it!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• I see I had nearly reached the end! Good morning also to Linda and Dibnlib!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• OG - Please avoid another fall. No wonder that you both got a fright.

• Diane: That's impressive.  Our tiny (by comparison) creeks drew lots of people during our rainy days this winter because they rose dramatically.  You get a sense of how even fairly shallow water can sweep everything away when it's moving so fast.  Just looked at Raccoon Lake on Google Earth to try to get an idea of the usual level of the water along the shoreline, but no "street views" available beside the lake so couldn't get my bearings. Don't like the way that road behind the barrier disappears with what looks like a dock mostly submerged. Lots of nice photos of quieter days there though. May Gray is fine with me as long as the sun shows up at some point. 

Heather: It's only been a few months so hang in there; I can imagine how those sudden flashbacks could reawaken such intense emotions - a shock to the system. Sighing is probably just another reaction to everything and will probably diminish as time goes by.  Fountain pen ink? I remember when "biros" were invented; we were forbidden to use them by the nuns.....  Are you planning any more trips.  If AQ were closer, you could go on outings with her; you guys would have fun!

Lindybird: Cute pups, but I bet you're glad Bonnie is well past that stage.  :-)  We remember when you and OH were tearing your hair out for a year or so,

OG: So nice to see your posts, but take care: No toppling about allowed!

Smells wonderfully fresh outside this morning. Rained gently most of the night and still falling. Off to do some shredding!