Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 April 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Red-Tailed Hawk in Flight
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo Labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Right.   Onward with our trip.   We left the viewpoint with the little Ground Squirrels, and wound our way around the mountains.  The road is often dramatic. Here is a pic of where we have just been:

- -  If you follow the ribbon of little white markers at the edge of the road, coming from the right, to the almost left hand side, you will see a tiny something where it disappears around the corner.  This is the viewpoint we've just come from.  The river in the bottom of the valley is all dried up.

We came to another viewpoint, and here there were the usual notices about not feeding the animals, but one lady was nonchalantly sitting on a rail, dropping treats to a little fellow below! That's her dark bottom at the top of the picture.

I said they move fast!!

They were used to seeing people, of course, as vehicles stop there all day every day, but they were wary, too.

• Then I realised that I Was Not Alone...... someone was watching me.  It was this fellow, and he was very bold.

He let me get up quite close.

He even leant down to clean his beak:  they were looking for tidbits from the travellers, too. I found then, that there were about four of them all around the car park.

-  -  I was thinking of you, Clare, as I took these!!

Soo handsome!!

• Hello- just to say thank you for all your news.

AQ, Whinge freely! What a day you had.

LINDY- can see you are busy as usual plus OH growing things :-)

ANNETTE- you are also busy, great that you saw the mother and baby whale. And all that keep fit stuff. I'm lost in admiration.

LYNETTE- Wasn't the auction of the house taking place soon?

DIANE- I can't find intelligent words to comment suitably but absolutely fascinated to read about the RTHs and the owl and you.

I have been in Copenhagen all day today. We went to buy a piece of navigational equipment for the boat, then walked through the long pedestrianised shopping street (Stroget), didn't dare enter any of the designer emporiums. Admired the many historic buildings, stopped at one of the many hot dog stands and had lunch (cheapskates). We then went to the Hotel D'Angleterre where our friends daughter is working as a concierge/ receptionist to help her live as she studies for her masters degree. She gave us tour of this famous hotel, finishing up in a suite that costs £5000 a night.I just can't get my head around that....  Tomorrow,we are driving to Sonderborg near the border with Germany,to visit their son who is studying there, it will be his 30th birthday.

• Lindybird said:

Then I realised that I Was Not Alone...... someone was watching me.  It was this fellow, and he was very bold.

He let me get up quite close.

He even leant down to clean his beak:  they were looking for tidbits from the travellers, too. I found then, that there were about four of them all around the car park.

-  -  I was thinking of you, Clare, as I took these!!

Soo handsome!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As beautiful as all your photos have been, Lindy, these are definitely the highlight.  What stunning ravens!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Love your pics of the ravens, Lindy! Hoping for a handout, no doubt. I would love to have been that close to a raven! Thank you for sharing the pics. Where is your trip?

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• CC - Thanks! We were in Fuerteventura, in The Canaries.  There are occasionally rare bird sightings there, as birds migrate, but I've never seen any!

Clare -  I thought at the time, This one's for Clare!  I've never been that close to a raven before. After a while, he or she took off gracefully and joined another bird in the air. They both coped admirably with the gusting winds, and floated off over the valley.

• Good Morning, All.  Another sunny day here beckons. We're certainly enjoying a lovely spring. 

Good to know that you're enjoying yourself and out and about, Heather. I'd love to see Copenhagen.

I'm off out for shopping and lunch with Friend. She is buying stuff for her forthcoming cruise around the Med and is excited at the prospect, although their outing to Turkey has been cancelled due to the unrest there :-(

• Forgot to put on a pic:

"I'm trying to look as tall as you, mum!"

• Awwww!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.