Loch Garten - Live Camera - Help

Carnyx Wild will monitor this thread and try to help those who are experiencing problems watching the live camera online.

• Hello Moffer, I've been watching since 4pm this afternoon and there has been no freezing or buffering at all. The male's visit 45 mins ago and all the 'stick moving' have been fine.

By we will monitor evenings and mornings to see if there is some sort of anomaly or extreme demand.

• For me buffering continually comes & goes., when cam is just turned on, after it has been on a short while.  Sometimes the buffering goes away, sometimes it takes picture away to replace with a message.

Buffering is a constant source of irritation and frustration.

• It's happened for me the freezing and buffering ever since the webcam where back on for the Osprey nesting season.

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:

Hello Moffer, I've been watching since 4pm this afternoon and there has been no freezing or buffering at all. The male's visit 45 mins ago and all the 'stick moving' have been fine.

By we will monitor evenings and mornings to see if there is some sort of anomaly or extreme demand.

Thank you for your reply. I was just about to take a break from watching when the pic jumped from one pic of EJ witth cloud, to EJ facing the other way in sunshine. After that the freezing stopped/. I'm so sorry, I should have come here and let you know.

• The view is all blurry now?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• If it was buffering for anyone today (Wednesday) between 4pm and 5.45pm, then there must be an issue with their individual broadband as we had absolutely no issues at the office on our rural broadband connection. If it works for one person and not for another by definition it is not a global issue.

However, having said that it is possible that during periods of high demand (a lot of people watching the live stream) our server may need to catch up every now and then.

FOCUS: I'm afraid we will need someone at the visitor centre to re-focus the camera using the keyboard remote in the morning.

Thanks, Peter

• Unknown said:
    If it works for one person and not for another by definition it is not a global issue.

Thing is, it's those of us who "monitor" the nest constantly who notice and are plagued by the buffering - casual droppers-in open their browser to a refreshed image and may not stay long enough to catch the buffering.

17 May - examples

09:28hr FREEZE, recovered by auto-refresh @ 09:47hr

11:19hr BUFFERING, frequent and repeated until 11:48hr - VIDEO speeded up x4 (buffer symbol is off-centre as I was zoomed in)

19 May

00:35hr FREEZE until auto-refreshed back up @ 00:49hr

IMAGICAT

• Hello Scylla. We will look at the option of supplying a lower bandwidth stream for those with broadband issues (possibly adaptive bitrate). This may help in some cases. But obviously lower bandwidth means lower quality. At the moment it is streaming between 900kbps and 1,100kbps. Last season we streamed at 350kbps.

• I have emailed Jess to ask the staff to make sure that the camera is focused properly at the end of each day. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do remotely.

• The live stream from Loch Garten is now also YouTube LIVE. There are a few advantages to using this, including:

1. You can rewind the stream back in time up to 4 hours.

2. You can choose the stream bandwidth that best suits your internet.

3. If you have an internet enabled TV, you can watch it on that.

www.youtube.com/watch