DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Wednesday, 12 April 2017

Yesterday was marred by bothersome corvids and (whilst also quite amusing) heavy, grass clumps barring access to the eggcup.  It all worked out in the end tho.  Videos here.

EJ has had at least 4 stand-ups at the back of the nest, despite it being quite windy.  The last time she looked rather alert:

She was settled contentedly immediately prior to cam failure:

Cam went down @ 0325hr.  I've emailed Carnyx and LG.

• Good Morning SCYLLA  Thanks for making contact about the camera

• Good Morning Scylla and Patily

Thank You for starting us off Scylla, complete with video.    Now I am glad I didn't get up at my usual time only to find the webcam down.

Probably be ten now before it gets fixed.    It was very good of Chris to come back to work last night to fix the cam then.  

Thanks Scylla for reporting it is down again. 

This is my second attempt at trying to post this, the other one the burling wheel is in action :-)

• Good morning, PATILY and MARY - isn't it a shame?  And more's the pity that I have no confidence in the auto-refresher in Firefox, so I've also got Chrome going, being recorded by some of Manton Bay's share - I shall probably have to cut it to size but am hoping it will catch anything crucial.

I'm going to (guess what?) take a break.

• Enjoy your break Scylla.....    I have just been watching your last two videos, it must be the year of the clod, Odin is going daft bringing in all those clods, I feel for EJ in the first video trying to move it off her precious egg.    

Hopefully the wind will blow the great big hairy thing off the nest, as they are both having such bother trying to move it around,  its a wonder they can find the egg to actually incubate it. 

• While we have nothing else to do ^^ a wild bit of speculation on my part to keep us entertained:

Could it be that there are vermin in the nest due to the winter-occupant-squater and that Odin is working with materials that the mammal lice/flees do not like at all or keep them at bay?

Or perhaps a smell he wants to "cover"?

I mean, it all looks like cushioning to us, but maybe that says more about us observers then about the birds. I am convinced they (he?) know(s) what they are doing, that there is a purpose of some kind and not just wild playfullness. ;)

(Or somebody's age, i personally dun buy that, he he.)

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• Yes you are probably right OM, I cannot remember Odin bringing in such big clods before, and as we know "Osprey's know best" lol.... he could be doing it for some very specific reason.     :-)

• A brief hello from me!  What a pity that the cam is down again.  Let's hope it is a solvable problem.

OM - I love your thoughts, but as far as I am aware ospreys do not have a sense of smell.  I have no idea why Odin is in overdrive.  The moss will become compact soon, but those clumps of dried grass are clearly problematic, particularly while we have the strong winds blowing.

Scylla, I loved your vids.  Thinking anthro....ally!!  I can hear EJ saying what the 'eck has he done now.  He can sort it out.  Odin then set to in a manly fashion.  I could almost hear the brain box whirring too!  Don't you just love them both!

I guess we won't have a cam until the VC opens - ca 9.30?  I am going out, but hope to be back by 10.30 for a couple of hours.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Good morning all. Hopefully the camera should be up and running now. I've just got to the centre and worked some magic (i.e. turned it off and on again!!). Sorry for the inconvenience...hopefully a second egg today? What do we think? Chris