BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2017

Some history of the BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS.

MALE - GREEN BF - RINGED HADDO 11 JULY 2004 - FIRST SEEN AT BALGAVIES IN 2008

FEMALE - WHITE UF - RINGED CLUNIE CASTLE 9 JULY 2009 - RING NUMBER 1428309

BLUE YD - RUNG AND SATELLITE TAGGED BY K. BROCKIE AND ROY DENNIS 17 JULY 2012

He has been sighted back in Scotland in recent years.  

ALL SUBSEQUENT BROODS HAVE NOT BEEN RINGED.

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2016

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2015

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2014

Some of Darren Dawson's magnificent photos to remind ourselves of this lovely Osprey Family.

LAST YEARS BROOD OF FOUR

AND A STUNNING CLOSE UP OF ONE OF LAST YEAR'S JUVENILES

CLICK TO ENLARGE ALL PHOTOS

ALL ARE COPYRIGHT OF DARREN DAWSON.

Wishing that both male and female return safely and have a productive breeding year ahead.  

• Mike B said:

Fingers crossed Mary. No doubt you'll visit later in the year.

Got everything crossed for them Mike.     Yes will visit if I can manage to squeeze it in LOL..... 

• I always find it difficult when an adult bird doesn't return and as you say especially after rearing 4 last year.   It was such a happy nest last year with all those youngsters except of course for the invasion of the Virgin balloon!   It brings it home how vulnerable these magnificent birds are no matter what age.  

• Yes we won't forget the Virgin balloon Tempo, it must have been so scary for the birds when that happened, the noise alone of that burner thing is enough to cause a premature fledge.

The thing is there is no way of telling how many eggs the new female has laid, its just a case of waiting to see how many heads pop up.  

I remember so well the excitement last year when the photos revealed that there were four heads, it was such a wonderful season for them last year, so I really do hope that it is a good season this year too.

Also a sighting of Blue YD again would be the icing on the cake.

• Oh yes a sighting of YD would be just the icing on the cake.  

• Darren has sent me this fabulous photo of a Marsh Harrier taken at Loch of Kinnordy this morning, but the best news is - that he said he got a message from someone who said that

BLUE YD had been seen at Balgavies two weeks ago....   - he said he is waiting on the guy sending him a photograph. 

So pleased that he has been sighted this season.   He will be 5 this year, so I am hoping that he has found himself a mate and a nest.

CLICK TO ENLARGE - It is an absolute cracker! 

• That is such good news about YD, Mary. He either likes the area or wouldn't it be lovely to hear he has a nest and is breeding.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Excellent news of BlueYD, Thanks Mary

• Good news, Mary, and thanks for the photos.

Kind regards, Ann

• Apologies for my accounts not timely, spent most hours of last days in the field or driving - only saved few hours to have some sleep. Either way, I visited Balgavies twice this week.

On May the 1st the unringed female was not incubating yet, there was some mating. Two intruders in the afternoon. Dull weather and I'll better check pictures on a larger screen when back home, but apparently the first intruder had no rings. The second one was Blue CR6, mentioned in public lists even if with no details on year and location of hatch.

Returned on the 5th and  there are eggs for sure, both birds participate in incubating. Again, two intruders. Another unringed bird, but possibly the same seen few days earlier, and surprisingly no alarm calling heard (Green BF simply looked at the intruder hovering over the nest and the female just did some mantling). The second intruder was Blue H8 (2014) from Kiedler. No need to say, the ring at the right leg drew attention and I was anxious to know where the bird was from.

Moved to Loch of Kinnordy in the afternoon and had the opportunity to see again White JU, mentioned few times in this forum, catching a big fish.

Definitely a good place for spotting "offbeat birds" not catching their meal in fisheries and for putting the new "report a ringed osprey" page of RD website to test. After submitting data, along with thanks, there is a message promising that details on the reported bird will be sent to the observer.

I'm planning to visit again at the end of the coming week.