RUTLAND OSPREY PROJECT - 2017

The 2017 season is almost upon us and my first thoughts are of 03(97) / Mr Rutland as he was usually the first back on or around the 17th March and heralded the start of the season. 

03(97) - Mr Rutland   ........  Copyright "LRWT- John Wright"

Sadly 03(97) is no longer with us but it is nice to think of him and smile knowing his legacy will live on as we now eagerly await the safe return of all the regulars and also new returnees.

A safe journey to all.

• Thanks Alan for the update. Seems to be a lot of young males at Rutland :)

• Something on FB promoted me to check my somewhat haphazard notes about Clarach,  Blue 2R(13).  She has been a bit of a wanderer in her brief life.  At the risk of getting my facts wrong...!!

Apparently she almost certainly visited Glaslyn in 2015, returning as a two-year old.

On 3 May 2016 Clarach landed on the Glaslyn nest.  Mrs G was incubating.  Aran left Mrs G to deal with the intruder!

13-14 May 2016 she visited Glaslyn at 18.25, whilst Mrs G was incubating .  She marched over Mrs G and hung around until Aran brought a fish to the nest which she grabbed and then ate on the nest!  She hung around  until 22.24 before departing.  However, at 04.22, when it was still dark when she returned on 14 May and stayed on the nest while Mrs G incubated.  She had the cheek to poop all over Mrs G for a second time, before Aran brought in another fish - and again she claimed it .  It was certainly surprising that  none of the eggs was broken during this time - clearly she had not learned as a chick to do it over the side LOL.  Eventually Aran and Mrs G treated her as an intruder and she left just after 08.00 The video is fascinating to watch.

On 17 May 2016 she intruded at MB and was seen off by Blue 33

at 12.14 on 29 May 2016, Clarach popped in to Nest 1 at Kielder!!  There were no eggs at the time.

And on 14 April 2017 Dyfi reported (tweet) that she had returned to RW

She is a feisty and determined lady, and I hope she finds a nest and a mate at RW. 

We know that Blue 51(11)m is hanging around Lagoon 1 this year.  Gwash River has reported seeing Blue 1J(13) m a four year old, probably seeking a nest and a mate;  and in a blog about the demise of Mr Rutland it was reported that Blue 30(10)m had taken over Site B, but had not attracted a mate.  He is back, and fishing at Gwash River fish farm.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Great info, Sheila, thanks.

Do your notes say how many unpaired females and unpaired males there are around in the Glaslyn and/or Rutland area? I know, it's a difficult question! I just remember that last year (I think it was last year?) there were several unpaired females but not many males... I wonder if it is the same this year or if the situation is more balanced.

• noc said:

Great info, Sheila, thanks.

Do your notes say how many unpaired females and unpaired males there are around in the Glaslyn and/or Rutland area? I know, it's a difficult question! I just remember that last year (I think it was last year?) there were several unpaired females but not many males... I wonder if it is the same this year or if the situation is more balanced.

There are four unpaired males at Rutland as far as I know. 

• Hazel b said:

Great info, Sheila, thanks.

There are four unpaired males at Rutland as far as I know. 

[/quote]

Thanks, Tiger. I thought that was a question for you. :-) Are there also 4 unoccupied nests?

• Tiger you said there were four singleton males:  Blue 51(11)m;   Blue 1J(13) m;  Blue 30(10)m  and ?  Do you know who the fourth is?

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thanks, Alan, Sheila and Tiger for the information.  With any luck at least one set of singletons will pair up and have a nest!  And the more, the merrier.

Kind regards, Ann

• Interesting to read on the Dyfi Blog that Clarach was usurped on a Rutland nest by a "large Scottish female"

• Latest educational update 

Link >>>>  Schools are back!

Kayleigh mentions within the blog - quote "20 ospreys have now returned with 7 nesting pairs in the Rutland Water area" .  Unfortunately no details of who other than 30(05).  Pity.