News From Other Nests 2017

Osprey at Hilton Head right now 

• Some photos from Hog Island today.

Eric Snyder makes another climb with Bailey up to her penthouse flat.

Bailey settles in

And Rachel is in a nearby tree

I've seen conflicting credit given for the photos, either Diana Lambertson or Dr. Steve Kress

And a map showing the relative location of the 3 nest sites

Here's hoping they all settle into their new routine quickly. Bailey turns 8 weeks old tomorrow.

• Thanks Pandy great photos....and great man Eric.

• Many thanks and well done everyone in your endeavours to help this family.

• Single-dad osprey nests. Tiger mentioned three of them earlier this season: Belwood Lake,Ontario, Seili, Finland and St. Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota. Most of us are at least somewhat familiar with the first two. Things have been going very well at the Minnesota nest. There's no cam on it, but faithful observer Vanessa checks nests regularly. Here's an excerpt from her report of 30 July:

"Right now I am sitting here watching the nest of Mr Mom. Wow. When I arrived our single dad was perched nearby, watching over his youngsters. (for those new to this page, the female on this disappeared in late June and this male has raised this brood of three chicks single handedly since they were about three weeks old. It is something I have never seen in 24 years of studying them. There are weekly exports on them in earlier posts). I don't mean to anthropomorphize , but he did look proud, confident, and quite comfortable with this situation and his role. He is now quite used to caring for these chicks alone. They are very big, beginning to flap furiously and are clearly preparing for fledge. Now I know I am very biased, but I am sitting here thinking these are the most beautiful chicks I have ever seen in my 24 years. I wish they were banded so we could follow their lives. It looks like it might be two males and one female. Dad took off for some dinner. The chicks were not food begging but crops were looking a little empty. They must be eating a lot now at this stage of development...and it will only get worse. But I am certain that this male is up to the task of fishing constantly. They are always well behaved, with no fighting for fish, which means the food supply is sufficient. Dad returns with a large goldfish. Oh how funny.....I laughed out loud! As I was just saying, they are well behaved, so all three lined up around Dear old Dad, expecting him to feed them. But Dad said, ya gotta grow up and feed yourselves...and he left the fish and moved to a perch nearby to watch. They all stared at the fish...no one lunged for the fish. They looked at each other. SO FUNNY! Finally one decided to grab the fish, politely, and begin eating. The others watched and food begged quietly. Believe it or not, they took turns at the fish....each one eating some and then walking away so another could take a turn. I love these guys....each and everyone of this osprey family has touched my heart. I sit here with my hand over my heart. Pop better go get a couple more fish! Sweet! The theme song from the old Mary Tyler Moore show went thru my head...."you're gonna make it after all!"

Vanessa's blogs can be read at the Twin Cities Metro Osprey Watch FB page or at her blog site.

One thing all three dads have in common is that they are excellent fishers, and all three nest sites have had a good supply this season.

• Great news on Tweed. And on the Minnesota nest.

• No mention of Bailey wing but presume it was checked out when he was being handled.   He certainly has gone through the mill and so deserves to make it.

• Hi today's update on Bailey. She is wingersizing well and adult brought her a fish which she ate unaided until she got to the last and then adult helped her.

• Good to hear on Bailey - thanks Lmac

• Empty nest at Caerlaverock, all 3 chicks have fledged.