Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 January 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Mountain Bluebird
U. S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Photo Labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Groundhog Day result

Punxsutawny Phil ‏@PunxsatawnyPhil  2h2 hours ago

More

I'm SO SO sorry folks. I have seen my shadow. 6 MORE WEEKS OF WINTER #GroundhogDay #6MoreWeeks

• Clare: That's a great link. Brilliant of Limpy to have started it. Lots of talented people. Thanks for cluing us (me?) in. I saw the video clip of Farage on the BBC website yesterday. :-)

Alan: Our National Weather Service is disputing Punxsutawney Phil's findings; they say it's going to warmer than usual in February.  I see an "alternative fact" in there somewhere. Of course something in the future isn't a fact yet (or is it).

OK. So it's an interesting name for a town and here's what I found on Wikipedia, and I quote:   "Punxsutawney" derives from a Native name in Unami (a Lenape language): Punkwsutènay, which translates to "town of the sandflies" or "town of the mosquitoes" (punkwës- ‘mosquito’ + -utènay ‘town’).  Alternatively, the name is said to come from another Unami term, Put'schisk'tey, which means "poison vine."   Doesn't sound like a place I'd want to hang my hat!

The About Pittsburgh website says Phil's full name is Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators and Weather Prophet Extraordinary."

I thought Dame Vera had gone to that great recording studio in the sky years ago. Not surprised they've re-issued previous recordings.  I remember "We'll Meet Again" which used to play on that Sunday (or was it Saturday?) program for servicemen stationed overseas (mostly in Germany I think).  Anyone remember its  name?

Tax person this morning with OH then routine follow up appt with doc this p.m.

• Annette. Family Favourites was the programme later to become Two Way Family Favourites. Some of our members may be too young to have heard it!

• Annette - After scratching my brain, I asked my OH and he immediately replied "Two Way Family Favourites" - and it all came flooding back. Cliff Mitchelmore was the presenter and it was a request programme for those overseas, asking for tunes for their family back in UK, so was mostly for folks in The Forces, I think. Eventually he married the girl from the programme, Jean, and they stayed together for the rest of their lives.

• Ah, Mike -- I see you remember those far off days as well!!

It was routine to switch on every Sunday, they played a lot of good tunes.

• I've been out for lunch with my Friend: we didn't fancy any of the films on offer locally (Trainspotting 2? --  --  -- 50 Shades of Grey 2?)

We went to an American Diner type Restaurant, which was moderately busy - had a nice upstairs window seat where we could see the street below. Friend who loves seafood, had Thai Crab Cakes and salad, and I had Fried Chicken Melts, with sweet potato chips. All very nice. We bought some Valentine's cards for our Other Halves, then poked around a ladies clothes shop, and managed not to come out with anything! Phew!

Heather - meant to say, Bonnie only disturbed some of the bulbs in the garden and we popped them back in. Trouble is, when you dig anywhere, it leaves lovely soft soil, soo tempting for dogs to dig in! So they may come up again!!

• Mike B said:

Annette. Family Favourites was the programme later to become Two Way Family Favourites. Some of our members may be too young to have heard it!

Like me!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Pat O said:
    I particularly like the deep-sea diver/kraken!  Wonder where it is?

Near London.  He said it was on the river path between Rainham and Purfleet.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I remember family favourites. I think Cliff was in London and Jean in Germany? Or, of course, vice versa ! It was on the radio on Sundays, I think, along with Billy Cotton's band Show. I seem to remember listening to it playing in the background while we ate our Sunday roast lunch.

ANNETTE - Our friends in Rancho Mirage are both now dead, sadly. She was American, he was English. They met in Seattle when both had been widowed. He already had property in Seattle, as did she. They married and from then on split their time between Seattle, Rancho Mirage, Woking in Surrey, which was his main home and here in the Highlands where he also had a house. How the other half live!! Anyway, they had a great life together for a good number of years.