WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY NOVEMBER 13, 2016

Look back at last week for Lindybird's lovely Remembrance Day poem and related posts.

Veteran's Day was yesterday here, but there were some events today judging by the various planes that flew in formations along the beach.   

Best thoughts to all this week..

• Thanks, Dibnlib  - We had a cuppa with sis-in-law whilst Bonnie ran around with Harley, who is her son's dog. They wore each other out! Sis-in-law is looking slightly better now after a long course of anti-bios and some steroids.  She has had a bad cough for a long time now, and we were worried,  but they've checked her with scans and Xrays and her chest is clear except for some congestion.

Showers here - I put the laundry out hoping to get it half dry, but it keeps raining on it :-(

• LINDY   So glad your S in L is a bit better.   Yesterday I got my washing on the whirly by 0930. It was dry and ironed by mid afternoon. Today was a different story. I was home from a swim by 1200 and put things out to dry. No chance,  2 mins later I brought it in and it is in the airing cupboard. I am not swimming again till Friday so it will be dry by then.

We managed to dodge the showers and Benson has had his 2 walks today.

I have been meaning to ask this for ages.

I have heard about the decline in Sparrows and we are really suffering here. I remember putting out lots of fat balls last year in a feeder and they weren't touched until I took them out of the feeder and put them on the table where birds other than sparrows helped themselves. The same in summer when Bensons hair wasn't taken for nests. This winter the situation is the same and sparrows are no longer coming to the feeders. I am so sad as I used to love watching them feed and bathe. We have Robins, a couple of Blackbirds and Pigeons so we are not without entirely, but still want sparrows. Any ideas?!!!

• I have loads of sparrows here in Nairn Dibnlib. I've got sunflower hearts in guardian feeders and they spend most of the day around them.  

Kind regards

Jenny

• Sparrows are a rarity in my part of the world as well.  We have lots of blue tits, pied wagtails, blackbirds, robins, pigeons, crows and over-flying Canada geese.  My favourite robin, Robbie (how original is that!) has learned how to get at the fat balls in the feeder.  If I put anything on a flat 'table' the crows and squirrels are on it in seconds.  Everything has to be squirrel-proof and crow-proof.

• Dibnlib, Plenty of both tree and house sparrows here. They take plenty of sunflower seeds from the feeders, but, mostly, don't bother with the fat blocks. Sparrows chased blue tits out of a neighbour's nest boxes and bred very well. Sorry you haven't seen so many. The woodpeckers and starlings can eat through a fat block extremely quickly.

Pat, Similar problem here. Everything has to be squirrel proof or there would be nothing left for the birds.

We had a lovely meal out with Son and his wife. She coped very well with the car journey. We returned here and they have not long left for London. I will not be happy until they text to say they have arrived at daughter's.

• NAIRNRED/ PAT/BRENDA   thank you, I will get sunflower hearts/ seeds tomorrow.  We will see, as they have eaten any old bird mix in the past. As we only have red squirrels here. they would be most welcome in the garden.  Glad to hear that your D in L coped well BRENDA.

• DIBNLIB- We noticed lack of sparrows, also.

• BRENDA- your DiL seems to be doing well. So pleased for you all.

• EVERYONE- Thanks for your news.

I'm experiencing a new world, that of full time carer. Don't know how long my new job will last! I might just have to put in for a pay rise lol.

Take care, all.

• Dear Friends

My sister passed away peacefully at 8.45pm Surrounded by us all.  The last few days have been harrowing but we tell ourselves she is at peace and there will be no more suffering. Thank you all for your thought and prayers.

Love Margo x