Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 November 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a great week!

• Morning all:  Will start the new thread later today.

Brenda: Sounds like a nice Saturday evening - good luck with the quiz.  Will keep an eye out for Monday's supermoon.

dibnlib: Hope your bro manages to "inspire" his daughters to help out more with your Mom. It sounds like the carers are there a lot; is it just a question of popping into make sure she's okay, doing grocery shopping, etc.?

Lindybird: FIsh n chips and a glass of wine sounds yummy on a cold evening.

Back later.

• Firstly my heart goes out to Margo at this very difficult time in her and also OHs life..

Well went to hospital for my Sigmoidoscopy..I was first down which was a bonus. Bravely decided on no sedation at one stage regretted that but a super nurse got me through it. Felt sorry for other half as he hadn't been home long before getting a call to collect me. All done and dusted in under 4 hours. All well and the next part of my treatment I gather will be a doddle

Daisy not on top form as she has a pad problem all down to her dodgy immune/skin condition. ABs painkillers and a boot which she hates. Vet has sent photos to dermatologist so a solution on the cards. Luckily she hibernates in the winter.

Getting ready for SCD hope the result tomorrow is better than the last few.

PS it seems the day clinics are now working 7 days a week. I gather those high up in Holyrood want the figures to look better.
  • Sounds a difficult thing to go through, Wendy - Well done. I hope the results are all favourable.

I enjoyed Strictly tonight - they all work so hard to improve and it's still a very entertaining programme.

• Watching the Remembrance Service just now -- every year it gets more moving.

BRIGHT POPPIES

The redness of the poppy

So bright in the green fields

Reminds me now of those who would never yield.

They fought against evil, they fought against pain

They fought on hoping that none would ever

Need to fight, again.

You rescued your comrade

You held on till the last

You bravely did your duty,

Though injured and afraid -

We never ever will forget

Those sacrifices made.

• My results were good Lindy so onwards to next stage..

Watching as well but I remember the days of armed forces taking the lead and not all these "  stars"..

Love the poem.

• Thanks, Wendy.  

It's hard for them to strike a balance, I think. Sometimes the event seemed rather regimented, in the past, if you'll excuse the pun!

At least what's been said and sung has been tasteful and appropriate. I always like to hear Michael Ball sing.

---  I wrote my poem with in my minds eye, two soldiers who were guests on the BBC Breakfast programme this week. A man had been back into the action to rescue several of his comrades, one of whom was blinded. The rescuer was subsequently injured himself, in another action. (And was honoured with a medal)

• We sat here remembering a dear friend who couldn't be at our wedding 25 years ago as he was elsewhere in the military..

We had a toast to an absent friend..

He came back to us but sadly not the same person .

The things he did and saw were beyond my comprehension but he did share a couple of photos with OH..

• Love the poem Lindy. I think as we get older Remembrance Day means more to us.

Kind regards

Jenny

• Wendy -  My Aunt married a man who could not and would not fight in WWII.   But he did contribute, by being in the Medical Corps. He was in the front line and came back a changed man, after what he'd seen. He was gentle and kind but there was always something behind the eyes as he'd seen such Hell.

Jenny - I know what you mean. When my boys were only young, I watched the young men going off to fight in the Falklands War, and feared for my sons future. Would they ever have to fight?  After that I felt I knew something of what the families go through when men are away at war.

The older I get, the more these Remembrance events mean.

• My first husband was a Reservist in the REME..

He was an armourer so skilled..

He was 3 weeks off being deployed and he had no qualms..

I remember sitting in the New Forest telling my girls it could happen.

Two weeks later it was over.