Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 October 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone is enjoying autumn, and you all have a wonderful week.

I'm sending strength to those facing illness or adversity.

Brown County State Park, Indiana
Photo labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Evening all:  Don't ask me what I did today - I only know I made it to yoga and wobbled a lot during the class.

PatO: That's a terrible drive!  10 hours to go only 400 miles?  I could be at my granddaughter's house in Arizona (500 miles) in 8 or less depending on who's driving. How often do you make that trip?

Lindybird: Have a safe drive home.

Heather: Are son/grandson staying overnight or longer?

Thanks all for posts and news. Hoping Tuesday is kind.

• A good night's sleep has hopefully put yesterday's drive out of my mind.  This morning a different sort of drive - on the golf course!  I drive to Scotland a couple of times most years, but somehow that's usually smoother than yesterday's experience - probably because I usually travel overnight.

• Good Morning. Dry here, with pretty, wispy clouds.

Pat -  You took what is a difficult route at the moment - the M6 and M1 are both knee deep in alterations to the central reservations as they become "smart motorways"  so there are miles of cones.  What worries me is that the hard shoulder is being scrapped in places, in favour of making the busy sections a lane wider. This seems dangerous, as someone breaking down could well cause problems.

We are off home today, lots to do when we get back!

• Good Morning Everyone. A cloudy, dull morning here again. No rain overnight.

Mr mole is still causing havoc in the garden, so gardener has laid two cage traps. Both traps empty this morning.

Pat, good to see you have recovered from your arduous drive yesterday and feel able to play golf this morning. Well done.

Hope you have a good drive home, Linda.

Thinking of Margo this morning, when her transfusions are due.

As we have missed the last three flu jab sessions, we will go this afternoon and make sure we don't miss this one. 

• Brenda: Mr Mole's cousin is back in our garden. We had someone out a year or so ago and he said they're very hard to catch, I think because they may pop in, cause damage, then disappear for a week or more at a time before showing up in another spot.  I put down garlic sticks last time round, but found two of them on top of a pile of diggings, apparently cast aside by mole and not a deterrent at all!  Grrr.

PatO: Have fun at golf.

Lindybird: Smart motorways?

Off for early breakfast with daughter; hope to be back by lunchtime.

• Back home safe, after an uneventful journey.  We enjoyed seeing the colourful displays of autumn trees on the way, there are a lot of trees and long vistas on our route.

Hope that Margos transfusions will help her during this busy time.

Good for you, going for your flu jabs in spite of being so busy lately, Brenda. We don't know if they help, but it's less risky to do as you're told and get one!

• Crossed with Annettes post....... enjoy your breakfast!

• Just Googled for the official description of a Smart Motorway:

This term was coined around 2013 and many miles of motorway have been adapted since then. The main purpose is to keep traffic flowing at times of heavy traffic (that's all of the time, here in the NWest, LOL!!)

They use extra overhead gantries and road signs to control the use and speed of each lane, bringing in the use of the inside lane or 'hard shoulder' at busy times, and changing the speed limits with the aid of extra cameras watching the flow.

We've also noticed miles of solid barriers in the central reservation being installed, to prevent accidents spilling over into oncoming traffic. The first ones we saw were put up on the M5 which we use on our way to visit our Youngest.

• I was very unhappy when we first had those concrete barriers - ouch if you do have an accident!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Decided “busy” must be the new normal!  J slept in his bedroom (mattress on floor as new bed not due yet), so we did have the lounge room free at last (only about ten nights, but seemed like forever).  He painted the last side of door (pair of doors on built-in cupboard) this morning and OH and he have gone to his eye appointment (another driver recommended by appointment letter, but never needed so far!).  They are also collecting some shopping and cleaning – and probably having coffee and cake.  I just put frosting on cake I baked this morning, and did a load of washing up.  Also, it’s stir -fry for dinner, so lots of chopping done.

Annette – J has decided that while he is changing furniture around, any remaining in the loft should be allowed to go, so OH doesn’t have to lift it any more – the way he has rearranged the room (and I claim the main ideas as mine!) looks very good.

Linda – your walks sound wonderful (wish I could still walk) and the poem was very good.  Had Council Occupational Therapy lady here yesterday to advise on ramps, and she suggested that, since I am still partially mobile, she advises very shallow steps extending from front door, and sideways from back door, as they will be less strain on my knees than using ramps – and help me to get some limited exercise.  We must pay for the construction, as expected, but council will fund all necessary handrails!

Heather – I am sure you are having a wonderful time with young Sam – and your Son, of course!  I hope your OH is continuing to improve.  I had just five days of Trimethoprim, then discovered I shouldn’t have been given it with my main arthritis med – was NHS 24 referral doc at hospital, not my GP!

Brenda – pleased your DiL is getting over such major surgery.  Sorry your OH still awaits results from all his scans and tests.  Sorry Mr Mole is still plaguing you, not the kind of visitor you want when you are trying to finish remodelling your garden!!

Pat – that was a long journey for you, but it sounds as if you recovered well overnight.  We no longer make long journeys – and I refuse to travel anywhere south of the Thames – and I foresee that boundary shifting further north very soon!  M74/M73/M8 interchange north of Hamilton is very congested with roadworks – a major realignment – and will be closed this weekend for removal of a bridge, so I don’t suggest a trip this way into Scotland right now!

Boys on their way home, so guess I need to dry the last bit of washing up – seemed to have created a lot of non-dishwasher items in the last twenty-four hours!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!