WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2016

Hope the new week is kind to all...

Lindybird: How distressing for your friends who moved to a town house. My sister and BiL have a lovely house in the country but are thinking they should be closer to services/family - all in Bucks - and are very concerned about the options.

Lynette: Was this your former family home that's listed and has been in limbo for a year? You mention a landlord who went broke....

Hot here these last couple of days and more to come, but still, we've had a nice summer. Got my "project" table in from the garage tonight with an eye to starting on the dreaded sorting and culling of photos taken over the last - um - decade.

It was granddaughter's birthday today. She went out with her coworkers last night but didn't have a great time. She now works with people in detox treatment and apparently saw too many party types throwing back the booze who reminded her of her clients.

Anyway, best thoughts for all for the coming week.

• Fiddle and squeezebox for us, OG!!!

Enjoy, we have seen them in concert and OH has a few of their CDs.
  • Sorry, MARGO, that your sister is so weak. Yes, I have come across these high calorie drinks etc, OG. In my case, when re-feeding anorexic patients. MARGO - your sister should be seen by a dietician. There should be at least one in the Oncology team.

• Thanks for the good wishes, OG.  And enjoy yourselves, tonight!

Busy here - its sunny so my OH has done some gardening for me:  I bought some trays of pansies but of course have been too busy to put them into the tubs.  Don't want them to die in their trays whilst we're gone, but the pots of geraniums are still blooming, which is frustrating, really! I've just mopped the kitchen floor which has been neglected, whilst going through things in my head: never been so anxious about whether we are packing all the right things!

Lovely to have a post from you, Margo, but sorry you've had such a rotten time.  You must be tired with the extra worry of your sister, too. Do try to take care of yourself.  I'm very glad that your OH is there to help you.

• p.s. the Awful Cousin is leaving this afternoon on the train, to frighten all the residents in the Lake District! She returns on Sunday, to stay with my OH's sister again, then flies out to Scotland on Monday!!  

• Flies to Scotland? Can't remember what family she has, there!

• LINDY - I have never been on a cruise but I believe that things are more informal than previously. Is that what you are trying to plan? Outfits for the evening, etc?

• PS to my earlier post - I am quite aware that my dear OH's deafness is not a life threatening condition. It probably seems such a trivial thing, especially when others here and /or their families are suffering such pain and also sorrow. But to him, it is awful. He is such a sociable man and to suddenly be in a silent world, is terrible for him. I am quite ashamed that despite an academic knowledge of the causes of deafness, I didn't fully appreciate how the deaf person feels.

• Heather:  I know that you must feel helpless, Heather, and that your OH must be upset, annoyed, and feeling isolated {{HUGS}}

It is an invisible thing, for which there does not seem to be half the sympathy given to, for instance, the sight impaired. Please feel free to come on here and express your feelings....  I do wish I could help...

Awful Cousin has some old friends in Scotland somewhere - I think she flies to Glasgow. She's probably invited herself!  Last year she flew into Heathrow, took a train to the Isle of Wight, saw relatives there (not our side of the family), came up to Manchester to visit us, went to the L. District for 3 days, came back to us, caught a flight to Glasgow, saw them, caught a flight south and went BACK to the Isle of W(!) --- went back to London,  then came back to us again and finally caught an internal flight to Heathrow to catch her plane to Canada!  ---- yes, I know, it's crazy!!

• Heather B said:

LINDY - I have never been on a cruise but I believe that things are more informal than previously. Is that what you are trying to plan? Outfits for the evening, etc?

We usually "dress for the evening" when we stay in hotels but we understand that there are formal evenings on board. As my OH does not possess a DJ he is taking a smart suit, white shirt & bow tie. I have the long dress I wore for the wedding last year plus two different stoles. I also have 2 pairs of evening trousers and many many pretty tops I can ring the changes with, with those. It's finding room for all the t shirts, shorts, trousers and light jackets, not to mention shoes, sandals and evening shoes, so that we're equipped for going ashore and also for daily wear that's got me flummoxed. It will all work out!

• Thanks LINDY. He is really down, some days worse than others. We are doing everything to see if things can be improved. Simple things,like not hearing birdsong etc really affect him. Not so many birds singing here at this time of year, though! I have no doubt that he/we will adjust if it is permanent. Meantime will soldier on. Not good to see him weep, though, and that has happened recently.

I see what you mean about the clothes! If only you didn't have to fly before sailing, you would be able to take more stuff, I think. I always found that a couple of pairs of black evening trousers plus different tops, were fine, as you say. Don't know if I've said this before, here, but years ago we stayed at Gleneagles hotel. Like most others, for dinner I had 'made an effort' and then Princess Anne strolled in, wearing an ancient looking Aran cardigan!!