WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2016

I was going to say Have a good week all, but I know some of us are going through bumpy times right now, so will just send hugs and encouragement to everyone in those circumstances.

Rained here this morning, bright and breezy this afternoon. Did a lot of garden work and now enjoying an early glass of wine - as they say "The sun is over the yardarm - somewhere!"

Take care all.

• Good Morning.  Dry here, after a very wet and windy evening last night.

AQ - Great that you managed a trip with Friend, but sounds as if you got rather wet! Will go to Google to look up the yummy treat....

Annette - Sounds like you felt the need to have a thorough clean, how nice it will be to sit back afterward! Then you can come and do mine....LOL!

Heather - Good to know that the kitchen work is progressing and you're managing not to have a meltdown, yourself. Fingers crossed it will all be wonderful!

OG -  I did realise that poor Dianes brother is very poorly indeed: don't think you reported it wrongly. I'm thinking of Diane and her family daily.

• Lynette - Forgot to say, thanks for the Pete's Pond pics.  I used to pop in to that webcam, too, but don't now.

• HEATHER   Howdens designed our kitchen/breakfast room and all went perfectly to plan.

• Good Morning Everyone. Still dry here, but the rain due later today. OH due to play bowls, but I think it could be cancelled because of the rain. They have an important league match to play tomorrow.

OG, if and when, son's dog may join them in London, will only be when D-i-L will have her operation and during her recuperation. I will have to check with them about quarantine for Penny, but I don't think it will be necessary if her International passport / vaccinations are up to date. They would not bring her over if quarantine was necessary. We will be speaking to them shortly.

AQ, Sorry your trip was spoilt by the rain, but the food sounds so good.

Annette, I am very conscious that I need to do some thorough H/W in the next few days. I have been doing the bare minimum lately, with OH's help.

Lynette, I, also, used to watch Pete's Pond, but I can't remember when I last looked at the site. Thank you for the pictures.  

Heather, You really do sound so calm amid all the kitchen renovations. How is your OH coping ?

Dibnlib, Sorry that your friend's visit was cancelled. Looking for birthday cards for certain people has proved difficult for us recently. I did buy a selection at an arts and craft fair, but still decided that some were not appropriate for a few folk.

• Annette – Cambrai & Sedan districts have mainly crops – wheat, canola, peas. Some sheep for wool. A very dry area in rain shadow of Adelaide Hills. Annual rainfall 10 ins. There are no young people in these tiny towns. There are no people. We saw no one in Cambrai, one woman in Palmer. Cambrai Hotel looks huge but was asleep. The only sign of life was the police car at Cambrai intersection keeping road clear (only us) for an oversize load (transportable house) coming through. Now Mannum was busy.

I see NASA has gone to the trouble of sending off a probe to collect dust. Don’t they know I have plenty here?

• Managed 66 lengths this am. The most I have done in a long while.

Friend can make it on Monday after all. The funeral is not till Fri so they will have a couple of days to tootle round up here.

BRENDA Hope Penny joins the family if appropriate.

• Morning all:

Lindybird: Yes, a thorough clean this time - moving furniture and all that fun stuff. Haven't done it since - dare I say? - before sister and her OH visited back in April!  We have two arm chairs that are a disaster but have agreed to hang on to them as long as ancient cat likes to rub up against the backs of them. How can I white cat get so dirty!

BrendaH: Let us know how things go with the family.  My OH is slated to do some (not so) heavy lifting when I drag out the vacuum cleaner, which is parked in the spare bedroom right now.   I've been buying "recipient appropriate" cards when I see them, even if the b/day is an entire year away. I just have to remember to use them.

dibnlib: Brilliant effort at the pool. I went for my usual walk.  Glad friends can make it for the visit.

AQ: Mannum looks bigger and I did a drive around the ferry area. It's always hard to figure out where the downtown (if any) is from Google's satellite view.  I saw a couple of old hotels that had a lot of decorative ironwork along their balconies that reminded me of old New Orleans and  of course France.  That mountain area around Mt. Barker looks nice - some interesting looking little restaurants; it must be a popular weekend destination.. So interesting to see the mix of Anglo and Aboriginal names.   Had a good smile at NASA overlooking dust collection opportunities at your house. Speaking of which......

With all these smart phones and multi-billion-dollar dust-collecting trips to space, I want to know why someone hasn't invented a lightweight wireless vacuum cleaner that will float along behind you, back up when you back up and knows to avoid getting trapped under bed frames and difficult doorways, etc.  Where are all the women entrepreneurs!?  :-)

• OG, BRENDA - my OH is OK as long as I park him somewhere with a box of chocs and a cup of coffee. You knew that I was going to say that, didn't you?!!! I cope surprisingly well with practical things. The situation we are in just now is just like camping, sailing, canal boating, whatever. I don't cope as well with worrying things like health/financial/relationship problems in the family.

BRENDA - Thinking about you and your family just now.

OG - Thanks for updates about DIANE's brother.

DIBNLIB - I think that Howdens are fine, as you say. I had a blip when it turned out that their planner had got one measurement wrong, but our joiner sussed that out very quickly when he did his own measurements, to double check.

The joiner is going on holiday on 21st so I imagine all his work will be done by then. He isn't the fastest worker but is very thorough and has done loads of things for us over the years. His estimate is for the whole job, not hourly or daily.

Take care, all and regards to all not mentioned by name. I enjoy reading all your news :-)

• Nice to hear you sounding cheerful, Heather.  It doesn't sound as if it will all take too long, and you will soon be in your new kingdom, saying "I wish we'd done this ages ago!"

Annette -  I cleaned all of the back rooms in the house when we had to repaint, and now the sitting room at the front looks a bit cobwebby. Also the wallpaper in the hall is coming loose at the edges: I still like it but wouldn't mind choosing a fresh design! We put it off because we will decorate it ourselves, and we know from before that there is a lot of cutting, as there are so many doors into the hall - let's see.....um.....six, plus the front door! That sounds like a lot of rooms, but one door hides the stairs which leap upwards to our attic bedroom.