WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, AUGUST 21, 2016

Evening all;  now popping back to catch up on all your news.

MaryGK: Alaska ferries are definitely for folks who are happy to rough it, sort of.  I wouldn't mind it if I knew I had a comfy hotel near the dock.

BrendaH: Good luck looking for the jacket to go with that dress.   Thanks for news of Margo and OH's doings - great to know they're enjoying themselves.

Heather: Don't think my OH would worry about my disposing of kitchen stuff; on the other hand the garage (which he also doesn't frequent) might be harder to clean out.    Chocolate teapot?  :-))    Cornish pasties - yum yum.

Rosy: Daughter has always had a menagerie (pigs, goats, peacock, horses, dogs, etc.) now it's horses, ducks, dog and floppy-eared bunny.  I just have her ancient cat which caught one bird yesterday and two today!  Pesky puss.  :-(

Hi to everyone else.

• So we've had a fire burning in the back country over the hills behind town for some days.  Fortunately it's been blown away from us. Still, here's a couple of photos I took this afternoon showing how fast these things blow up.

The first was taken at 4:25....

This one was taken just 12 minutes later at 4:37.

Pretty impressive, eh?  Glad it's not heading our way......

• Thanks for starting the thread, Annette.

That fire is ghastly! I'm so glad it's going the other way. Stay safe! Wish I could send you all of this torrential rain we've been getting here.

• Diane: Well it's one of the less dangerous fires currently burning  up California. Wish we could get some of your rain too.  Take care ducky....

• Actually, your photos are quite beautiful, Annette. But I'm afraid of fire, and I worry about you in this awful wildfire season.

• Diane:  Apparently, those are pyrocumulus clouds - a term I heard for the first time on the weather forecast tonight.  Makes sense.

• Good Morning to All.

Thank You to Annette for starting us off again. Worrying seeing those fires, Annette, but it seems to be something you have to learn to live with, there. Great name for those clouds!

I'm bursting with pride at the wonderful achievements of our athletes in Rio. They have all striven so hard and a lot of them have been rightly rewarded with a medal of one colour or another. So much better than some years ago when our performances seemed to be lacklustre. It's been gripping from start to finish this year!

• Good Morning Everyone. A breezy cloudy morning here.

Annette, Thank you for starting the week. Very dramatic photographs. We learnt a new word from the weather forecaster. It is petrichor, which is the smell produced from the rain hitting the earth and releasing various bacteria. Now you have taught me a new word.

• Cloudy & damp here to start, but it cleared up and we've been on a walk around a mere with Bonnie. Watched half a dozen Canada Geese honk overhead, then circle before landing quite stylishly on the water. Bonnie was hoping to catch a duck but they stayed well away from the edge of the water: we thought she would only get her feet wet but she fell into the shallows from a rock, so came home damp anyway!

• Now its afternoon.  I have been trying to find time to look at my pictures from the Tatton Flower Show, as I know that some of you enjoy them.

Here are the "Sheds" this year: They are given the theme of decorating a shed in any way they please, as long as the original shape & size of the shed is kept.

Very imaginative this year!  First, the Library Shed -

As the theme was books, of course there were magazine articles pasted onto the walls inside, plus lots of shelves with old books on them, and a nice window seat in which to sit and read. Notice that the whole shed is made to look as if its all books, piled up!

Next, the Milk Bar, or the "Moo Shed!"

On the other side, of course, the cow!

Can't remember the theme of this one, but it was pretty:

(nice cladding!)

EDIT:   And its a pity I can't remember it, but I think it won the First Prize!

• Next, a beautiful construction called "The Bride's Bouquet", covered in Wedding Flowers:

Other view:

Then a rather strange construction, not sure what it was meant to be:

Then a tribute to all those who have been in the Armed Forces:  Note the sandbags....

---- It was explained that soldiers and those who've served, often need somewhere quiet to go to reflect.

Then, one of my favourites, "The Inside Out Shed!"  ~  outside were all the tools, including lots of old ones we recognised:

And, of course, inside ~  The garden!   -- complete with a tree growing through the roof......