The LOCH GARTEN OSPREY GABFEST for AUGUST, 2016

AUGUST sneaked up on me, but apparently no one noticed

August is my least favorite month, considering the too hot, too humid weather here in southwest Ohio. 

In the osprey world, AUGUST is the month for all our ospreys to start their migrations.  Willow and Rowan will be starting their long journey to Africa which will be their home for the next two years.  They have not been tagged, so we have no way of following their progress or lack thereof.  GOOD LUCK to them as they  start this long difficult journey, to all the other juveniles we are following, as well as best wishes for their parents and all ospreys known or unknown.

• Keith, I am so glad you are back home with those you love from Korea  and able to be out and about doing the things you like.  Of course, I've always had the feeling you like your work, but you know what I mean.  :)

• Good evening all. Glad you are home again Keith :) Another season has ended and both have headed south as have all 3 Rutland chicks. It won't be long before Maya and B33 leave too as they have no demanding chicks to provide for. Feel very sad too June but also happy that they have set off fit and healthy juveniles doing what they were born to do and a successful season for dear EJ and Odin.

Next season will be here before long and wish them all a safe journey south :)

Keith we had a steam train passed my box couple of weeks ago now, they were going to cancel it as deemed it to be a fire risk! We have had very little rain and everything so dry. The train passed without incident :) I was not quick enough to get a photo :) Left a lovely sooty smell behind:)

• I am sitting in the garden at the moment on a very warm late afternoon watching my beloved swallows. They appear to still be looking after young as they are diving in and out of next doors stables! They arrived quite late this year. The swifts have gone some time ago and plenty of house martins about who also seem to be nesting still. I hope they have a very successful season as there numbers have declined.

• June I did enjoy the note from Odin :)  It was a nice thought!

The nest stands empty to be cleaned by corvids and other birds, and will suffer the wind battering and howling gales of the coming winter, to welcome the couple home again. they will lovingly restore the battered nest and once again be full of life :)

Something so lonely to see the empty nest :(

• I think we are definitely reading Agatha's final chapter in her novel

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.

I went to Boat Of Garten yesterday and despite following the River Spey at differing locations around the Golf Course and also at Broomhill I saw No Ospreys around.

No one at home at loch Insh or the fish farm at Colyumbridge either.

Well as 58Willow points out we still have the two adults at Manton Bay even though all their chicks have departed and there is still a bird KP2 at LOTL so still many around.

58Willow - Did have a ride on this though before a game of golf at Boat of Garten looking for my ball all around the blooming heather. At least your swallows are still with you and we can still think summer is still with us.

• Good evening all. Keith love the photos of the engine! Lovely photo of the heather with the sinking sun through the trees :) I do love late summer when things are starting to slow down. Even though our migrating birds are starting to depart we can look forward to the winter visitors.

I used to feel a bit sad when summer ended but I now look forward to the winter, and enjoy that too as long as we don't get it too harsh! We are soft down South !

OH bought me a bat detector at Christmas and its been very busy in the evenings, heard mainly pipistrelles and noctules, fascinating bats are :)

Glad you enjoyed a steam train journey.

Have you heard of something called a "rooks wedding" I heard it mentioned a long time ago referring to the acrobatics that rooks perform in the evenings. Have looked on line but can find no explanation ??

• Hope you enjoyed your golf at Boat of Garten, Keith.  I played there some years ago - perhaps you found one of the balls I lost in the heather?!?!?

• www.facebook.com/dyfiospreyproject  

This video of Monty's struggle with a huge fish was posted on Facebook, so some of you may not hae seen it.  I think you  will enjoy it.  I know I did.

•  Then we have this lovely picture, again from facebook.