RUTLAND, MANTON BAY - AUGUST 2016

Morning all someone sitting

Copyright Rutland

• Did anyone see 33 deliver a fish this afternoon, and if so, was it whole or part of a fish and when was that, please?  I ask because we were sitting in the observation room at the Egleton centre for part of the afternoon when we saw an Osprey clearly looking for fish.  He was soaring over one of the lagoons (off to the left when viewed from the centre).  He made a couple of dives which were aborted before he could hit the water and he finally dived again, presumably into the water but he dived behind a vegetated island so we could not see the impact.  After a short time he reappeared with a fish and then he flew up over the centre heading for the carpark, but seconds later he reappeared and flew back over the water directly behind the centre, and finally flew off in the direction of Manton Bay!  He disappeared behind trees about 3.30pm. Was that 33?

Kind regards, Ann

• That's interesting Gardenbirder.  The last snip I did of Maya was at 16.01, and Alan reported a fish delivery at 16.37 by which time the fish had been delivered and she had left with it, and 33 had nest cupped.

I first spotted Maya on the nest and calling at 14.17 and she remained on the nest, calling.  Sadly I did not see the delivery, but Alan will be able to help you.  What a lovely time you must have had at Egleton!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• So T8 has gone too We know it has to  happen but it is still sad The chicks have had a good start in life and I hope that stands tem in good stead to deal with all the hazards they may meet

• It would be so nice if you had witnessed Blue33 catching his latest (maybe the last of the season at MB?) fish, GARDENBIRDER :-)

Here is Blue33's fly-off at about 1630hr - just in case it's the last we see of him.  He didn't fly back over the water, I wonder what direction "our right" is?

I've been wondering if they lowered the quality to try to make the streams more reliable?  Not a problem, but the pictures aren't as sharp as they used to be, IIRC.

• Evening All.  Yes, Scylla, that would be great but I'm still not certain the bird we saw this afternoon actually was 33!  It looks like there is still an adult on the nest at the moment, looking around as though expecting another Osprey.  I can't see any rings but the head and beak look like a male, so is it 33?  Do they ever begin their migration this late in the day?  Seems they should have a fish in the morning and then set off.

Kind regards, Ann

• Regarding the fish delivery, I did not see the actual delivery and handover but I did see Maya fly off with it. I think it was headless. This must have been about 16:30

• Scylla the right is towards the south shore and the hides from where the nest is monitored. Ahead and right is the Lyndon centre.

The Egleton centre is away to the left and the Hill you see in the background is Lax Hill where the translocation release pens were located.

This map of the reserve will help I'm sure.

• Mike B said:
    This map of the reserve will help I'm sure.

Thank you, MIKE :-*  Well he wasn't migrating, that's for sure, cos he was back, as was Maya, and this is a snippet-summary of their evening.  I wonder where he was off to this evening?

I'm saying that the last sighting was at about 1930hr, but maybe we can't have much faith in that, since I earlier clashed with ALAN's estimate of the fish-time :-/

The downloads from these 2 streams come in dribs and drabs, some only a couple of minutes long, the max being about half an hour (once in a blue moon), and they're often duplicated and triplicated - so one has one's work cut out ;-)

Maya didn't do very much at all but I think I may have transitioned-out a glimpse of her chasing an intruder :(

3m49s

Dear Blue33, have seen too little of him this season, as with dear Maya:

• Small flock of magpies on the nest!