WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, JULY 3, 2016

Welcome to a new week.  Hope ALL the familiar faces will show up this week!  :-)

Go back to page 8 of the previous thread to see Mike's link to the question: How do you free a Golden Eagle caught up in a very high tree without the use of a ladder?   Page 9 shows Bowie posing for his closeup.  OG and EE are busy shooting at cats and cheering on Housemartins in the midst of home repairs (the birds that is). 

Brenda: Well, there always seems to be one lavender bush that I missed!  I have to tidy them up and take off all the dead blooms once during the summer, then in the winter, I whack 'em all back by a third. Trouble is, they're all getting old and woody.  

OH and I bought tickets to a concert tonight - Jean-Yves Thibaudet is playing Rhapsody in Blue and since the Music Academy is hosting the show, the tickets were super cheap. But now we're looking at each other and thinking we'd rather stay home in our comfy togs and relax. But no. Must hose off and rise to the occasion.

Was amazed that Djokovich got knocked out at Wimbledon so early. Shocker!

Have a good Sunday everyone.

• Just back from concert - a very young orchestra of music students who did a very good job supporting Thibaudet, who just played the one piece. They started off with "Short Ride on a Fast Machine" (very modern and - thankfully - short), then Rhapsody. Second half was "From the New World" symphony. Such a lovely and evocative piece of music. Anyway, glad we went; it makes a real difference to see music performed instead of just hearing it.

• Thanks for starting us off again, ANNETTE.  Rhapsody and New World are among my favourites, pleased you enjoyed them.  Will reply later to yesterday's posts!  Going to hose down now to go to church.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Thanks Annette for starting us off .

Ages ago I bought new towels, a lovely deep pink. Alas, they still leaking pink dye and pink lint. I didn’t think when I treated us to nice thick towels that four would completely fill our washer. OH has been reluctant to do an extra separate wash, so today I loaded the machine. It wasn’t long He-Who-Grumbles-at-Washing appeared looking as if I had invaded his territory! I managed to peg them on line without help.

I’m cooking tea tonight – real food, not packets. Oven baked pork with broccoli, carrots & spinach. Earlier I toured garden to find my perpetual spinach hadn’t died away in the cold. The so-called trampled bulbs (from the fence blokes) look fine to me. The snowflakes and jonquils are flowering – early heralds of spring.

• ANNETTE  Thanks for starting us off. Glad you donned your posh togs and enjoyed the concert.

• AQ  Sorry about the towels.   You are obviously much more able now which is great news. That meal tonight sounds really good. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Off for a swim again. I only need to do 24 lengths and that will make it 2 miles in the last 6 days. Think I will have a rest on Mon and Tues!!!

• ANNETTE   What a shock at Wimbledon. Does this mean we will have a Federer v Murray final? 

• Back from swimming and did 48 lengths. I have now had 4 swims since Tuesday and done well over 2 miles. I am really pleased as it is a very long time since I did anything like that.

• Hi – another week gone by!

Mike – what a great story about the Eagle rescue – but why was nothing done sooner?

Alan – another great photo of dear Bowie – very smart!

Annette – sorry that Lightning isn’t grooming herself: she must be feeling old. 

AQ – I hope you aren’t doing too much, and are not stretching too far to the linen line with heavy towels.  Tea sounds good: we just had pork for Sunday lunch – very flavoursome, with cabbage, parsnips and a few leftover carrots for he-who-won’t-eat-cabbage!

Dibnlib – a lot of swimming last week – well done!  Is your OH having to work weekends to provide holiday cover?

Nothing much going on here – weather is okay, but with occasional wee showers, so no good starting anything outside.  OH is researching a training course as we have offered to take on communications within our church – newsletter and website again.  Minister has been doing it himself, and he really should not need to.  Because he has used specific church software and site provider, we will do this course before we make any real changes and modernisations, but we shall be handling data from this week onwards.  Hoping to get on the course late next month – it is at Windermere, and will attach at the beginning of a trip to Northumberland.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• dibnlib: Was just looking at the Wimbledon website and see that today was "People's Sunday" - is that when they have to play on a Sunday and so no ticket reservations were made so they sell them on a first-come first-served basis?  Must say I have a soft spot for Roger... Congrats on all those laps. I managed a half-hearted walk but may pay a token visit to the gym after lunch (all that bending over lavender bushes the last three days has taken its toll).

OG: Brilliant to attend training to help out with the church's PR and website. Your halos will be glowing. I wonder what program they use.  How long is the course?

AQ: Gosh, you'll be swinging from the chandeliers next! That's unusual for towels to bleed dye so long after purchase, but I was saying to OH the other day that I can't believe our towels, which are at least 8 years old, still leave the lint dispenser coated...

Off to Farmer's Market for wonderful peaches.

• OG   OH works 1100 - 1400 every other weekend.