Osprey sighting?

Hi Guys, this is my first posting so please forgive me if I get it wrong. However, I think I may has seen an Osprey in the South Northants areas and managed to take a photo of it (albeit a very bad one) and I was wondering whether any of you guys could help ID it for me? (incidentally, when I went back to the same spot yesterday,there was an half eaten fish on the towpath)
  • Hello Simon

Welcome to the LG Osprey Group.   It is a pity that you didn't get a clear shot of the head, as it is hard to say from this photo for sure that it is an Osprey, but then I am no expert,  Can you remember seeing the dark eye band on this bird, which is always a sure way of identifying an Osprey, 

Sorry not to have been of more help.   Was that the only photo you got? 

• Hi Mary, thanks for your reply. Yes, I do have a few more photos but they are less helpful than the one I posted. The only thing I can add is that it looked a much lighter brown in colour when it flew off(looks quite dark in the photo) Also, the reason I think it's an osprey, is because it can't be anything else. It's not a kite, buzzard, kestrel, sparrowhawk or a hobbie. It could possibly be a Harrier of some description but highly unlikely given the location. Interestingly, I popped back down to the same location at the weekend and saw a partial eaten fish on the towpath which I take to be a good sign that it was an osprey. Anyway, thanks gain for your reply. Rgds