WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey topics) SUNDAY, JUNE 26, 2016

A new week - no posh link to last week's thread I'm afraid, but then again, it may not be worth the aggravation!  :-)

• Hi, all.  Very pleasant weather this morning, but some showers this afternoon.  Caught up with laundry, but not all ironed yet.  OH did some cleaning today while I was planning menus to include J at home for school hols after tomorrow – and he’s a “fussy eater”, so lunches are difficult (although I don’t know how much he might go out, or even go away - which we are hoping he will do, so we can use his bedroom while we decorate ours).

Annette – J missed out on a birthday meal at home by eating out with his colleagues!  Pleased you enjoyed your Friend’s visit.  Sorry about the poor deceased cat you saw.

Diane – POW Chapel was built by Ukrainian men, many of whom settled here rather than returning after WW2, and the descendants of some of them now take great pride in looking after it and keeping it open.

Brenda – I do hope the additional drops will be successful in treating your OH’s latest eye disappointment.

Dibnlib – our local killer Cat (a rather ragged ginger Tom) was lurking near the feeders this morning – we know it took at least two young starlings in the week before we went away.

Oven smells promising – must go check on the dinner!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Just a quick update. We visited a probate experienced accountant this afternoon and after 10 minutes perusing our figures on the form said we have enough to proceed to Grant of Probate. Hooray!!!!! Now got to wake up the solicitor who has the original will then we can go forwards. Next priority is to get our lives back together again. 2 appointments for opening executor account and the  Probate office, then we can positively move forward. Oh, by the way, the accountant said there was no payment for his advice, he was very impressed at how we had got there so quickly.

• I had an unpleasant experience today, as was at the garden centre getting more bird food (!) and was at the checkout when a woman ran a wheelchair into me, catching my ankle hard with a sharp edge, probably the footrest! She could have gone another way, or at least said excuse me! It was painful and a shock, but the staff were very nice, and got me a chair and a cup of tea, and I have signed the accident book! I have quite a tender swelling and bruise, so not very pleased! The woman just carried on at the time but later did come and apologise.

Keith,  I know what being an executor is like, as probably many on here do. It is certainly stressful, but my brother and I did manage it OK.

• Sorry about your injury, Chrisy. I hope it won't be serious.

Annette, OH is fine. He knew something was wrong and so asked to see the consultant. He had started to have some blurring in his vision, in the right eye. Like me , he is hoping that the new drops will delay any more operations for a while, at least.

Keith, It is bad enough having to be an executor of a will, without having to have all the problems that you have had. Good to see that you found the experienced probate accountant and that you will be able to move forward with your lives. Your brother would never have wished all this heartache on you.

OG, One of our neighbours has recently adopted a cat from a rescue centre. He seems to spend most of his time under our bird feeders. I now have a water pistol for when I catch it. The cat has killed quite a few baby birds and I do get upset about it. It is not as if the cat is hungry !!

I spoke to Margo yesterday. Her blood tests are due again next Monday. They seem to come round very quickly.

• BBC coverage of The Somme 100 years ... amazing stories..

• Breanda, thanks, it is not serious just a rather nasty bruise.

I also have a water pistol, though the cat vanishes as soon as I appear with it!

• ChrisyB said:
    I had an unpleasant experience today, as was at the garden centre getting more bird food (!) and was at the checkout when a woman ran a wheelchair into me, catching my ankle hard with a sharp edge, probably the footrest! She could have gone another way, or at least said excuse me! It was painful and a shock, but the staff were very nice, and got me a chair and a cup of tea, and I have signed the accident book! I have quite a tender swelling and bruise, so not very pleased! The woman just carried on at the time but later did come and apologise.

Blimey.  If someone had done that to Limpy they would still be in orbit!  I suppose she could have been desperate for the loos (or similar) but that doesn't excuse her lack of care at the point she hit you.  If it had been the other way around she would have been very unhappy.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Diane in Indiana wrote the following post at 2016/6/29 7:02 PM:

Lynette: Annette is the one who posted the Trump's hair photo, not me. :-)

Beg pardon to you both.

• Limpy - super photo of the gannets, glad you enjoyed your time there.

OG - Vale of Bevoir is a lovely area, use to go there when living in Nottingham, with OH, before we were married. Nice to see that you eating the fruits of your labour.

Brenda - Glad OH is recovering well, do hope that in the end no graft will be needed.

Managed a shorter swim at the gym today. Also went to get some plants to plant out in the back garden (in pots)- just got to get round to doing it.

Had a note from my brother's partner who said nothing much was happening with the house. Still in a very bad state. Goodness knows when it is going to get finished.

• Keith, do hope you manage to get things resolved very soon. I know my brother dealt with my mothers' estate as he had Power of Attorney" in her latter years and was also appointed Executor. Lengthy process but got there in the end.

ChrisyB - how unfortunate and what bad manners initially that woman had.  At least she came back and apologised.  Hope ankle swelling will go down and that it will feel more comfortable in a day or so.

wendyB - saw that about the Somme so am taping the highlights at 11.30pm tonight.

Well, July begins tomorrow, wonder what the month will bring - sunshine or more showery rain?????