WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey topics) SUNDAY, JUNE 26, 2016

A new week - no posh link to last week's thread I'm afraid, but then again, it may not be worth the aggravation!  :-)

• Thanks for starting us off, ANNETTE. CAL fires were on our news last night. So awful. Then floods across country. Apparently a bleak cold day here, but I'm snug. Must go & do torture (ie exercises).

• AQ: Good for you. Yes, big fire in Southern Sierra with lord knows how many houses burned; two dead. Have fun and stay warm.

• Good morning and thank you, ANNETTE for starting the new thread.

I heard more about the flooding in W.Virginia. Tragic. Fires weren't mentioned on the news, though.

AQ- pleased for you in that the whole procedure was easier and you seemed to tolerate the reduced dose of the painkiller. Onwards and upwards now! As you say, look forward to your trips next year.

Not sure what the day will bring in terms of weather - blue skies and sunshine at the moment but that doesn't mean much. I like to look at the weather radar on the internet.

We are hoping that a plumber will arrive tomorrow with (another) replacement solenoid for our shower. It was done in February but has failed. Shower head is leaking water again. When he visited on Friday, the plumber asked the dreaded question ie 'How old is the shower unit?'. Without looking up the paperwork, we guess about eight years.

All being well, some small gardening jobs planned for today. Take care, all.

• Good Morning, All, and thanks to Annette for starting us off again.

Sorry to read that there have been bad fires and floods in USA, with loss of life.

AQ - You sound as 'perky' as you were described the other day! - Hope you recover quickly.

A New Week, a fresh start --

"I'm begging you, I'm on my knees -

No politics or religion, please......"

• ANNETTE  more bad news of fires in California. Hope you and yours continue ok.

LINDY   A couple of well said lines.

• By gum, it's been a hive of activity on here!  Hope everyone has enjoyed their Sunday.

Just spoken to our Eldest, who has also had food poisoning, by sheer coincidence, and he has been ill for over five days - during his weeks holiday on the South coast :-(       No fun.

We compared symptoms, as I have not been as ill as he has:  I feel better now in that I am again eating, but still feel very washed out.  Went to sleep this afternoon only to be woken after a meagre half hour by our neighbour mowing the lawn with a noisy petrol mower. They have to keep the house looking pristine in case of people coming to view it:  it is still for sale and they are asking far too much for it (600,000!)

Sad to hear about the roller coaster accident in Scotland:  hope there are no serious injuries, they don't seem to be saying.

• Lindy,  I think your little poem this morning rather stifled the conversation! Wise words , though.

The 'R' word does seem to be the general topic of conversation everywhere. I have just been for drinks with some neighbours, who are a mix of Irish, Canadian, Indian, Belgian (who did not get a vote) and yes, a few Brits. I always enjoy their company.

Glad you are feeling better  today.

Strange about you son having a 'bug' as well. Sorry it was during his holiday.

AQ  Glad you are recovering,  even if  it is  a painful process.

• A new week
    A new knee
    Sun is shining
    All's right with the world.

• Evening all:

Spent an hour on the phone with sister in the UK this morning, then went to Farmers Market and Costco to stock up. My friend from Kansas City is arriving tomorrow and will be here until Thursday.

Heather: West Virginia is already a very poor region, which makes it all the more unfair that the flooding did so much damage. That doesn't sound like long enough for a shower to fail. Good luck with the plumber.

Lindybird: I was wondering if you had food poisoning. My sister was sitting in the garden when I called her; she said it was lovely and sunny. Then her neighbor got out his very noisy ride-on mower and she had to go indoors to continue the conversation. Apparently, he has some kind of condition, maybe Alzheimers, and she says he tends to just go round and round even over areas he's covered and would likely be out there the rest of the day.

Rosy: The Referendum and its repercussions are still topping the news here.

dibnlib: No fires here right now, but our local lake (Cachuma) is only at 14% capacity, which is dire.

AQ: Glad all is well on your side of the world.

• aquilareen said:

A new week
    A new knee
    Sun is shining
    All's right with the world.

I was still up and about when you wrote that, AQ, and I was pleased to hear that you feel (reasonably) good.  I've had a sleepless night, in the main.

I take back what I wrote about not talking politics:  I said that in the hope that it would defuse things and get this thread back to normal. But I can see that things are never going to be the same. So say what you like, but be warned that if any of you get too carried away as I did (defending myself and needing to justify my vote after making the mistake of being honest and saying that I'd voted Leave, like over 18 million other people) you may end up sounding as if you are on a political platform, and pushing your own views on others, something which I abhor.