‘LG Blogger’s Round Britain Tour’ of Osprey reserves and associated Osprey habitats.

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE

‘LG Blogger’s Round Britain Tour’ of Osprey reserves and associated Osprey habitats.

Summary.

This is written in MS Word as a precaution (technical tip). I decided to make this a new thread, as disjointed blogs on different threads would be too difficult to follow. I shall put ‘signposts’ to here on relevant threads to draw attention to the additions that will follow over the next few days.

The last visits that I paid to LG were in the 1960’s as a young graduate, keen hill-walker and climber. My recollection of LG then, is not very clear, but I recall the pioneering spirit of those involved and the nest itself being easy to view. I remember being struck by the idea that Osprey could exist on an exclusive diet of raw fish.

I set off from Surrey, just south of London on the 15th June 2010. Apart from LG, other sites were first time visits. I shall expand my comments on the locations in later blogs.

15th. Rutland Water, to get an idea of the layout of the South Shore locations and to meet the staff at the Lyndon Centre.

16th. RW Lyndon Centre and the hides which have excellent views of the nest.

17th. Kielder Forest, Cumbria. Monitor only in the castle exhibition and shop. The RSPB man a viewpoint with a telescope, but only at weekends. The nest was invisible to me in the distance.

Tweed Valley, near Peebles, has two locations, the Kailzie Gardens (pronounced ‘caillie’ rhymes with daily!), and a small exhibition with a monitor of the nest, at Glentress, which is just outside Peebles.

18th to 21st am, with relatives celebrating my cousin’s golden wedding in Fife and Edinburgh.

21st am left for Dundee, visited Carnoustie, had lunch at the pub, ‘19th Hole’, I said,”I have not been in for a while”, “41 years, or so”, then to my old bed-sit, by the sea at West Haven.

I had heard about, Piperdam, near Foulis on the Coupar Angus road out of Dundee, it is called ‘The Osprey Centre’, but I discovered that the ospreys left there seven years ago, much to their disappointment the fishing centre manager told me. I strongly suspect the quad biking, among other activites being responsible.

Alan, I bet you are sitting up and taking notice, :o), you have probably guessed where I was off to next…..along the back road to Loch of the Lowes….yes, on the 21st June, of all days, that could easily have been Lady’s last day. Nobody had expected what was about to happen, just after 6.15pm, when she took off, to the water’s edge. I had arrived just after 4pm, just behind the BBC satellite truck and they set about writing the script, for the news item, which was about to change, little did they know. So events took a dramatic turn for the better. More of that later, in a subsequent blog. I watched the news item in the hotel in Birnam and after that the place was buzzing.

22nd I returned to LotL and watched Lady on their superb HD monitor. The staff use the joystick to demonstrate the points being discussed and we were watching Lady close up, noting how ill she looked, but, enough of that, now that she has improved a lot.

Then, Pitlochry and some of my old haunts, including the fish ladder at the hydro power station, which was only ticking over at 5% of capacity, as water stocks were being conserved.

Then to Loch Morlich and a spot of summer skiing in my kilt, only joking, but some people were doing just that, the remains of the big freeze still being enjoyed by some. On the way I had checked where the Rothiemurchus Fish Farm was, it was where I thought it was, but the new road system makes it feel much closer to Aviemore.

Since I prefer back roads, I passed the LG turning, after closing time on my way to Nethy Bridge Hotel, where I intended to stay four days, subsequently extended, because of the good weather.

To be continued…..

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• jsb - Thanks very much. I am enjoying reading about your tour.

• Summary, Last Part.

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE

26th I spent the morning at one of the locations in the area, where a ‘secret’ nest is located. I am sure that you will understand that I wish to protect the birds, by not saying any more about this part of my trip.

In the afternoon I went to LG for the main purpose of photography. However, as many of you will know, visitors including members are restricted to the Centre and only volunteers are permitted to go to the forward hide. So even with a 500mm telephoto lens the pictures of the nest are not zoomed in as close as one would like. Nevertheless I shall post what I have in due course.

27th I travelled north again to Findhorn Bay with the intention of trying to get photographs of Osprey fishing. The weather was fine, sunny and warm. I stopped at the bird hide, opposite the airfield and it was not in a very pleasant condition, with beer cans etc. Moving quickly on I got to the village Findhorn, which has a yachting centre, places to eat, two piers and some boatyards. The bay is almost enclosed by the Culbin sands beach, with a narrow neck, allowing the tide to come in very fast. The seals were coming into the bay to fish and some kayaks were enjoying the currents, no swimming definitely everywhere, as it would be far too dangerous. The basking Sharks failed to put in an appearance. The forest on the other side looked inviting, but, although there is a small boat, possibly a motor boat ferry, for trips to the opposite beach, the forest is notorious for people getting lost once inside and just to add to the excitement, there are some unexploded munitions, dating from the Second World War, practice of the D-Day landings.

I was advised that the best time to see the Osprey would be in the evening when the tide was going out, between 6 to 8pm from the piers. I was prepared to wait and enjoyed the afternoon sight-seeing. During the afternoon the small group of boys, who had been fishing for crabs, from the pier had gone and the clouds began to appear, then the wind got up and the yachts started rattling their lines and bells started clanking, the wind was now quite strong, then the rain, which was only for a few minutes, cleared all the visitors quickly, me included. So I am afraid, it was back for dinner with no photos.

28th I was due in London for a group lunch on Wednesday and I had extended my stay by two days, so it was time to head south. I found that in future I should allow at least two days per location, to complete all the aspects of each visit. After leaving Nethy Bridge, I took the back road to Coylumbridge for the last time and passed the LG turn off, with a lump in my throat, heading for Loch of the Lowes again, I had no news of Lady, due to no hotel Wi-Fi and o2 had told me in Inverness that it was not worthwhile buying a mobile broadband dongle, as Nethy Bridge was only served by GPRS, which is voice and not practical for surfing the web. I had not been to Aviemore, during this visit, if you do not count the fish farm.

After some shopping at House of Bruar at Blair Atholl, Pitlochry and lunch in Dunkeld, I returned to LotL. I was really pleased to see the change in Lady, the first thing I noticed that her eyes were open again and she was eating and feeding, but still frail and a bit unsteady. This was before she went fishing on Tuesday, the following day, as I was later to hear. What I learned from the staff, was how she got back to the nest the previous Monday. There she was at the water’s edge and after resting, she made a laboured climb and circled to gain height, remember she was blind or almost blind, when she was above the trees trying to find the nest, the chicks called out to her and she was able to land safely on the nest. Truly remarkable, the chicks seem to have saved their mother’s life. The staff also said that  Roy Dennis, had never heard of the type of illness or symptoms that she suffered, so as far as I know it remains a mystery. During the visit I joined the SWT and took some photos from the hide, which I need to process and compress to get them to upload.

I then headed for Glentress in the Tweed Valley, for a brief visit to the exhibition, which includes a monitor of the nest. I shall try to scan the leaflets I collected and post the images in due course.

I treated myself to a night in the Peebles Hydro and got an upgrade for the accommodation, this hotel is superb and the room was immaculate, dinner was first class, head waiter, service and politeness, there are not many hotels these days, like this one. Just to bring me down to earth, I informed the reception lady, apart from holding conferences there in the past, as a 21 year old student, I used to deliver their fish from Edinburgh in my fish lorry!

29th As I said before I like back roads. So I wanted to go to the woollen mills factory shops in Hawick. I headed for Traquiar, the Gordon Arms Hotel, Tushielaw Inn, Roberton, then to Hawick. The reason being that the countryside in this area is suitable for Osprey and I stopped on the way a few times, also to chase lambs from the road, that refused to budge.

I thought I may see some Osprey, but no luck, that day although the countryside was ideal. I left Hawick for Surrey via the A7, M6, M6Toll, M42, M40 and M25.

I am thinking of returning to LG for the migration, meantime I will be busy putting up my photos on the thread. You will have to bear with me, if some of you remember, from the weekly blog; the package containing the new cameras was tampered with, just before I left, so the camera software is not on the computer yet, which is what I have to do next.

• Thanks very much JSB for part  3 of your Osprey Odyssey. It is interesting that you mentioned the Peebles Hydro Hotel as I spent one night of my  honeymoon there when I was 24. It really is a lovely place as is Peebles. I also know Glentress very well as I did lots of walking in the area when I lived near Glasgow. I think you will recognise this photo of Findhorn Bay with a view across to Culbin forest:

• Hi Alan: Re Findhorn picture, just as I saw it. Thanks. My sister lived in Peebles for a while. The Forestry have changed Glentress into a very popular activity centre, as I am sure you know. There were many mountain bikers getting ready to go home when I was there.

• RE Pitlochry and the salmon ladder,  Did you see the two Osprey nests on the way/ Jus wondering if they were productive again this year.

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
    Spike Milligan

• Hi Soosin: No, I did not know about them or where to look. It was probably the hottest day of my trip, the only unusual thing I saw was a guy sitting on a bench marked, 'wet paint', beside the theatre at the dam and a passer-by smiled and said to me, "Now there's a guy, who likes to live dangerously". ;o)

• Oh, jsb, I envy you in a lovely way. What a wonderful tour. I visited Peebles some years ago and we are visiting it again this year at Innerleithen Water. We have taken a cottage near there called Woodhope Bank.Unfortunately it will be after they have closed down for the winter which I presume the centre does when the ospreys have migrated.?????

We lived in Scotland for 2 years many moons ago and once had a break in Boat of Garten. Unfortunately I was not a member of the RSPB then and have only joined it since my father passed away (it was one of his passions and he often went on bird trips arranged locally)  Hope to visit more often now that hubby is retired, but I've still to pursuade him as I don't drive.  I can dream, maybe one day it will be, who knows.

So pleased it went well for you and that you enjoyed yourself.

• Thanks jsb so enjoyed reading about your travels.  The only place that you mentioned which I have actually visited is the fish ladder at Pitlochery many years ago I might add.  How wonderful to see all the ospreys and arriving at Loch of the Lowes on the day that Lady took a turn for the better. 

Margobird

• Thanks so much jsb - really enjoyed reading, and look forward to the photos.  Haven't yet been to Findhorn or Kielder, but know all the other places. 

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Thanks jsb, just catching up. It really is a brilliant read and I have thoroughly enjoyed following your 'Osprey Tour.'