Loch of the Lowes - 2010

Thought I'd start a separate thread for the posting of news, updates, pictures etc. from the nest at the Loch of the Lowes. Now that the first chick has hatched at Loch Garten the Daily Update page is going to get too unwieldy if it is used for news from LotL as well as LG, and the "News From Other Nests" is getting pretty full as well.

• Welcome Lofty!  Let's hope this positive turn of events continues....

• Welcome Lofty and we are waching nothing short of a miracle.  We have to be cautious though and I can see from other posts that it appears she has had a bit of fish, that coupled with the drink in the Loch and managing to fly back to her nest is certainly looking better than the last 2 days very sad viewing.

Margobird

• Soosin said:

Thank you Soosin and Valc for your sensible and pragmatic observations.

OG Just been reading through comments on main blog. and omg.  So Glad I wasn't at home over the weekend, Think I would have been banned from the forum.

[/quote]

I think I would be banned if some people on there and here had their way.  It's one thing to be caring and concerned for wild creatures, quite another to get so sentimental over them that one can't accept the truth.  I've seen too many people become disbelieving when facing (not) the death of a pet or family member.  I just feel that some of these well-meaning folk are in denial and, as your quote from Peter's interview seems to suggests, they need to have their eyes (or perhaps the eyes of their mind) opened. 

And would her survival now be altogether a good thing?  Would she reach her winter home?  Would she get back next year?  Where might she die?  ... Would people prefer her to do this is some out of the way place, a tidy disppearance with no body,  just because they can't cope with her death?

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Barbara Jean,   Maybe she will eat when she thinks the chicks have had enough, just like EJ does....

Welcome,  Lofty.   Nice to have you join in.  Sorry, we are all just a little bit, no very excited just now...

• I am sure Lady picked up some fish left in tne nest, did anyone else see that.

Margobird

• It has taken me ages and ages to prepare dinner for my brood tonight.  Now they have eaten I can concentrate on the happenings at LOTL.  I'm really amazed and delighted that it seems she will be with the chicks for a bit longer.

• Sadly the male was confused by what the female did when he brought the fish. The fact that she went up to him and appeared like she was going to feed either herself or the chicks probably persuaded him that all was well, so he flew off to go fishing again, unaware that the female wasn't going to feed the chicks.

That's a shame and I hope that the chicks manage to feed themselves this time.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Wish I had, margobird,  I'm longing to know if she's had anything to eat. It was so frustrating, having the male block our view when he arrived,and I saw her head go down as if to go at the fish, but of course you can't be sure....

• I saw her going across to see what he brought in . She had her head down but I would have said that no she didn't eat any, but others watching saw her eat

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
    Spike Milligan

• Just logged on again and caught up with whats been happening.

I think we have a right to be sentimental and all that stuff when we care what is happening to Lady. I am sure we are all aware of the fact that nature will take its course, whether it be here or elsewhere.  It would be nice to think that if Lady is near her end it would be here in her summer home.

Please lets not get too stroppy if people don't post according to other people's idea of what should be posted,

WE DO CARE AND WE WANT WHATS BEST FOR LADY/MARG